Solo boating AND solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've buddy dived off of a pair of ocean kayaks. You can either use a reel to tow the kayak with you, clip it to kelp, or use an anchor. I have not tried this solo, but in good conditions I don't see why it would be substantially riskier than regular solo diving, or buddy kayak diving.

The worst-case scenario for kayak diving is that your anchor / kelp clip fails, or it is stolen, and you come back to the surface with no kayak. So you're out, what, $500 or $1000 worth of kayaking stuff. And if you're within kayaking distance of shore, you're within kicking distance of shore as well, it's just more work.

But, a real boat is a different animal. I don't have a real boat, but I would be cautious. Not saying I wouldn't do it with enough research and knowhow, but the failure modes are significantly worse.

Come to think of it, the worst-case scenario for kayak diving isn't actually a lost kayak, it's a catastrophic drysuit flood. Learned that one the hard way a couple years ago when my buddy's kayak flipped while his drysuit zipper was open. Instead of being warm and buoyant, he was freezing and trying to swim while wearing a bag full of water... that was not a good day. I would imagine that the same goes for solo diving off of a big boat as well: if it's too cold to dive wet, then it's too cold to dive.

Cheers

As for making sure the boat is there when I get back, I use a good claw anchor, a long, heavy chain (chain keeps the anchor parallel to the bottom) and plenty of scope. I always go down the anchor line and visually inspect the anchor to make sure it's properly set, holding and not fouled. That's one nice advantage that divers have over non-diving boaters :)

Totally agreed with your procedure for checking the anchor and I do it even if the boat is manned. Just as a matter of interest how often do you check the shackle between the chain and the rope or so you use a chain splice ?

There was another similar thread, and the general preference seemed to be a RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat).

You'll probably want a way to make 100% certain your boat is **well anchored,** possibly multiple anchors, big anchors, and diving down and ensuring the anchor is well hooked. Last thing you want is to return to the surface to find your boat missing.

I'd also avoid anywhere with **currents** and **massive** bodies of water (like the ocean). In other words, you'll want **easy shore-access** in case of emergency.

I'd also strongly consider carrying several signaling devices, possibly a PLB. and as with usual solo diving, you'll want plenty of redundancy (bouyancy, air, cutting-devices, etc). Perhaps even carry some cash ($10 to $20), just in case you want a nearby boater to give you a lift back to your boat or to a shore location.

Have done it, but not scuba or freediving - instead used a Nardi hookah unit that runs off batteries, and that way I am effectively tied to the boat. As mentioned check the anchor at the start of the dive.

I’ve done a lot of solo sailing and solo scuba diving, but not much of both at the same time. When I’m off for a week on the boat by myself I typically stick to low risk spearfishing (via freediving). I’ve done a few solo scuba dives while on solo holidays, but with some strict prerequisites.

I’m quite fearful of being taken away by a current and not realizing it, or something happening to the boat with me not seeing it. There has to be no current or even the possibility of a current, somewhere I can set a solid anchor (if you can’t set one well then there’s no point setting two badly) and it has to be somewhere where I could expect to see someone close by within 24hrs.

I also wouldn’t really recommend this to anyone.

Over the last 6 years or so there’s been a large decline in diving and available buddies. Im now 4 years completely solo. And since I love wrecks my boat is empty and the good wrecks are offshore. I pick my day and time the dive at slack tide. Get the grapple in solid and prepare the boat. A ladder is needed on a hard boat and a big sign saying diver below close to the kelm that can’t be missed. I hang a weight on the stern which I slide down the anchor rope deeper than my first stop. Check the drift and drop in. 30 feet off the bottom I tie my reel and clip my strobe, check the grapple and tie it in. Head off on my reel. Time up I reel back, drop down and untie the grapple and head up collecting the strobe on the way. When I get to the the sliding weight I unclip it and I have my stops on the rope nice and comfortable on the stern of the boat. In the case of a drift hang a buoyant rope off the ladder long enough to pass the stern.

Quite impressive!

I just bought a boat an impulse buy to help a friend, I hate boats, I think I'll let him keep it, sell it on

Totally agreed with your procedure for checking the anchor and I do it even if the boat is manned. Just as a matter of interest how often do you check the shackle between the chain and the rope or so you use a chain splice ?
I use a chain splice. I wrap the splice with a couple of layers of white self-fusing silicone tape (aka Rescue Tape) for chafe protection. When that gets to get a little beat up (every few years or so), I strip it off, check the condition of the splice underneath and re-wrap it. So far it's been solid.

BTW I lock the chain-to-anchor shackle with plenty of stainless seizing wire.

I pick my day ....
Couldn't agree more!

I am glad there are not the massive tidal swings in my area, as there are in Ireland. Sounds like you have a good plan.

I do it. The Pompano / Ft. Lauderdale area has lots of mooring buoys.
The ones on the first reef are easy to explore and there are some decent spots with good ledges.
The second reef can be a little more involved and I stick to areas I know very well with optimal conditions.

Agree with Still Kicking , current is a major factor. I've gotten in and then right back out several times.
I also only use the mooring buoys, no anchoring. If there are a lot of boats at the site I move on (solo or not, lol) Set a plan, get compass headings above and below, stick to the area in your plan. Situational awareness and discipline are key, but I feel that way about most things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom