Solo boating AND solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couldn't agree more!

I am glad there are not the massive tidal swings in my area, as there are in Ireland. Sounds like you have a good plan.
It works for me 90% of the time, if conditions aren’t right or there’s fishing gear or fishing boats on the wreck I put on the tea and throw myself in the sun, the wreck will be there the next day.

Call me crazy, but I think it’s a horrible idea. Too many variables. Leave someone in the boat.
I can remember a guy in the keys years ago that did this on the gulf side. “Checked” his anchor and it was good, then proceeded to hunt bugs. Squall kicked up and pulled his “secure” anchor. He luckily found a crab trap bouy to hang on to for a day and a half till someone found him. Anyone else remember this? @Wookie
Edit: I am mistaken…it was the Atlantic side and only 18 hours. In my defense it was almost 20 years ago…my memory ain’t as good as it once was I guess.

There are other examples….easily googleable

I dive solo from my boat quite often. I've been doing it since the early 90s. Even when Merry and I dive together, there is nobody on the boat and we sometimes don't see each other during the dive. We have a great claw anchor and all chain. The boat doesn't move. We also don't dive in current.

Low vis, current or breeze would make it supremely stupid. In protected waters I would consider it.

I can remember a guy in the keys years ago that did this on the gulf side. “Checked” his anchor and it was good, then proceeded to hunt bugs. Squall kicked up and pulled his “secure” anchor. He luckily found a crab trap bouy to hang on to for a day and a half till someone found him. Anyone else remember this?

Or in 2017 when the two Coast Guard members left their boat empty, surfaced to find it gone. They drifted for a quite some time before being found. IIRC, they set two anchors.

Just no.

What would low vis have to do with it? Most of my diving is in low vis.
Based on the amount of people I've rescued, fellow boaters have rescued, the USCG has rescued and the ones lost forever when they couldn't find the anchor rope again and conditions deteriorated.
Also the stories of friends who floated until rescued when it happened.
Florida is very tidal as well as gyres off the Gulf stream move over time. Add that to weather that changes rapidly in afternoon heat and it's pretty easy to see how it happens.

Reason #1258 Not To Live In Florida. In over 1500 dives from my own boats, I've only made one free ascent. That was the only time I let someone else lead the dive.

Reason #1258 Not To Live In Florida. In over 1500 dives from my own boats, I've only made one free ascent. That was the only time I let someone else lead the dive.
Free ascents are fun though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom