Solo certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wet Willy:
Any body know anything about a solo diving certification? One of the dive sites in Bethleham PA required a solo dive certification. Have dived solo but unaware of any certification requirement. :lightbulb

There is no general requirement that I know of. Privately owned lands and boats can require pretty much whatever they think they need to cover their risk-exposure.

SDI has a solo course if this is an issue you encounter often.

R..

For as much as the dive organizations preach against solo diving, I can't believe they have a solo certification. Might as well have a skip-breathing certification too.

DavidPT40:
For as much as the dive organizations preach against solo diving, I can't believe they have a solo certification. Might as well have a skip-breathing certification too.

I believe SDI is the only one aren't they?

DavidPT40:
Might as well have a skip-breathing certification too.

LOL. :D Good one.

Most of the agencies are not really against solo diving. PADI's official line is to walk the fence, IANTD teaches people to be prepared for it and SDI markets it. I don't know about other agencies.

Solo diving is a reality. You can ignore it or you can try to control it to some extent by putting retaining walls around it. Most agencies seem to choose for the second while keeping it low-profile to limit their liabiliy exposure.

R..

captain:
drbill:
Captain... there are dive locations, public and privately owned... that either make solo diving illegal or require certification for it. It is largely in response to perceived liability. I don't think any of us can speak for the specific site in PA that Wet Willy referenced.

Just don't dive the location that requires certification. It's that easy. I have my own boat and compressor and don't have to depend on anyone letting me dive how I chose to. I simply don't dive where I am not allowed to do it my way.

But do you have a certification for that compressor? Good gravy! how can the dive shop check your card before a fill if you're filling at home? Your own boat too! you're going to turn the whole dive industry upside down single handed!

MikeFerrara:
captain:
But do you have a certification for that compressor? Good gravy! how can the dive shop check your card before a fill if you're filling at home? Your own boat too! you're going to turn the whole dive industry upside down single handed!

I've said it before in this forum that I saw the way the dive industry was headed and didn't like it so I did what I needed to do to be independent of it. I was in the retail scuba sales business in the mid 60's to early 70's This was before there was a certification for everything from soup to nuts. I sold the equipment and told my customers they could get training from the YMCA. The only avaiable source at the time in my area. I was a dealer for U S Divers and Voit SwimMaster and others, they did not require me to provide training or sell at a certain price or not sell parts. I still feel that is the way it should be. I don't buy in the "government regulation argument" because it can be applied to a lot of other products and activities and is not. The dive industry has used it as a catch all to squeeze more money out of divers. The problem is we as divers buy into it.

Back when I started diving Catalina and soCal 36 years ago, we had our own compressor and our own boat. It made sense since we were in a slightly isolated location and taking a 30-45 trip into Avalon to get a tank filled, then the same amount of time to return didn't make sense.

I'll be danged there is a certification level for solo diving listed by SDI. Here all this time I thought I was being a scoff law :14: . Just goes to show you... just when you think you know something. Go figure!
Thanks for the posts!

Sideband:
captain:
If that works for you, great. Won't work for me unless I don't dive at all. The lake charters require a buddy as do the quarries. I'm not willing to do a 3 mile surface swim to get out to one of the wrecks in the lake from a solo shore dive just to do it "my way". My own boat would be great. Know of anyone giving away free boats and slips in the Chicago area?

Joe

The small (12 to 14 feet) inflatables made by Zodiac, Avon and others made great dive boats. They are seaworth and safe and can be stored in an apartment. A 20 HP outboard is all that is needed. A handheld GPS and a inexpensive depth finder will find wrecks. But best of all it allows you to explore sites where the charters don't go to. Pack in a car or truck and you could get to just about any diveable part of the lake. You don't need a 40 footer and a slip. I dived out of a 13 foot Zodiac for years.

captain:
There is no certification requirement solo or otherwise. We let ourselves be conned into the notion that there is the certification police lurking out there and they will arrest us if we dive without certification. Dive any way you want just be aware of the risks and do what is necessary to minimize them.

I would like to believe what you said; but, I recently went to Florida for cave diving certification, and unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your point of view I quess), there really were police there to check on your certification level, before they would let you dive. It was my understanding that if they catch you after the fact they have a legal right to issue a citation that carries a hefty fine.

If you are diving in the open water I 100% agree with you!

Back
Top Bottom