Solo Diving- Absolute No-No?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree the last dive is a well written book that shows even some of the best divers in the world can get into trouble.

I must agree with you. I do not use a spair air. I dive with a LP Steel 45cu bottle with a HP DIN 300 valve on all dives. I also do a gas switch on every dive at my safty/deco stop (even if it is just to a EAN 40). A) it is good practice and b)helps in off gassing. I also try not to exceed a 10 fpm assent from the 20 foot mark.

Bobby, I've read and heard numerous times that EAN 40 isn't a large enough pressure difference from Air to make too great of a differnce in offgasing Nitrogen. Have you considered a greater Oxygen content for you final deco stops?

Mario
You are correct there is just a small advantage in using a 40% mix and boy have we just hit and a hot topic! There are 2 opinions on off gassing. I use anywhere from 75 to 100 02 for my deco as well as various mixes for travel. Once again I go back to user experiance and where he feels a comfort level in his CNS clock. As for the switch there is no way I would use a rich 02 content in my reserve (or bail out bottle). I usually dive deeper than 20 FSW The avg reef depth is 60-70 fsw and I dive between 90- 200 FSW quite a few times a year. In talking about reserve gas. I would not recommend to a new diver or any for that matter to count on your DECO as a RESERVE source or bail out bottle. Any way if the switch helps in off-gassing even just a little is fine by me. (jury is still out on micro bubble effects in the last 20 FSW hence the use of Nitrox in the first place.) But more important is the self-training I receive from always making the switch. Since I am a x-NYPD officer I got very used to drills and counting on them to survive. Hope I clarified my point I do not want anyone confused. Just trying to get used to this type of a forum

sorry about the spelling all I am typing fast and working at the same time.. no time to edit....

Sidenote:
Bobby, when you catch an error you'd like to fix, you can click on the 'edit' icon under the post. If not, the moderator will often times try to help out whenever error's are noticed.

Hi Gozumuti (Does that name means anything?)

No unfortunately I didn't succeed on my test. Too little time for reading and the logbook entry - which has to be perfect - really triped me up. The reason is that the rest of my certifications are in the PADI system and the labeling of times and what you put in your logbook is slightly different. On top of that I mostly keep logbook details - like air consumption and time at depth and so forth on my computer. No more excuses! I'll have to retake the test on one of these days.

PS. you can un-cross your fingers now. Thank you for your support.

Damedykker,

Sorry to hear that, all I can say is better luck next time.

Things like logbook entry shouldn't be in any test. This is more a personal matter of how you prefer to keep a record. Personally I have a scrappy A5 (for the americans take a sheet or 'letter' size paper, fold it in half, and turn through 90°) folder. I some time ago photocopied a blank standard PADI page, and now have hundreds of these. The advantage of this is that on the back there is nothing, so I can draw decent pictures of dive sites, etc. or keep tallies of money on club trips (or if I marshal a dive I have a handy piece of paper for writing air pressures down on, or any one of the 1001 things you need pen and paper for.

Each to their own, and very unfortunate that you had to fail on this.

Jon T

I am a newbie (25 dives) and am against solo diving. Part of this is a personal choice -- I am married with 2 small kids and am not willing to take this kind of risk at this point in my life. If I was 24, in the best shape of my life and "unattached" -- maybe, but only under the right conditions.

I agree that you can minimize the risk by solo diving only at familar sites and shallow depths with full redundancy --although if something catastrophic happens (heart condition, embolism, etc.) and no one is nearby, there is no "safety net" to catch you.

I've been disappointed at the growing number of articles I've seen in many of the popular scuba mags criticizing the buddy system. When done correctly, the buddy system is a great way to minimize the risk we all face while diving. While I agree that there are many divers out there who are not good buddies (inadequate pre-dive equipment checks, not staying close to buddy, etc.), this is no reason to call for the end of the buddy system. Being a good buddy is a skill that should be taught in cert classes and practiced in the field. Maybe critics should focus on improving buddy skills instead of calling for the end of the buddy system for experienced divers.

My $0.02.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom