solo diving advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you think?

Solo diving is not recommended? unless your a commercial diver. If lacking proper training avoid it. Even though not in deep waters. Note that insurance coverage me be deemed void and not permitted in some places. Absolutely consider the consequences; pro's and con's

Have fun and enjoy!

I wouldn't consider solo diving until you have a substantial experience base. It's easy to over-assess your personal comfort level and stress tolerance until you've done enough dives to have encountered a range of problems and been forced to employ some personal stress management. Typically, 100 dives is viewed as a minimum starting point, but for many divers considerably more experience is necessary.

If you feel that you may be competant to conduct solo diving, then it is wise to seek some form of assessment of that competance. An experienced instructor, ideally with a tech or cave background, will be able to conduct such an assessment, by pushing your comfort and stress boundaries. Chances are, when exposed to the need for some relatively simple, concurrent multi-tasking you will gain a new insight into your limitations. It can be a humbling experience.

Bear in mind that there is nothing in the entry-level recreational scuba training that specifically prepares you for solo diving. The training programs of most scuba agencies are modelled upon an assumption that you will be diving with a supporting buddy. All of the drills, skills and procedures that you are taught make that same assumption. You have not been taught how to handle any common emergencies without that support.

In terms of specific skill sets required for solo diving, you should have precise buoyancy control, gas management, self-rescue, navigation and dive planning skills. Needless to say, your core/foundational open water diving skills should be flawless.

Without any desire to sound patronizing; but in 20 years of diving, I have not yet met a diver with 25-50 logged dives who had flawless core skills.

Likewise, I've not met any divers in that experience bracket who have had the chance to learn and employ gas management, self-rescue and navigation skills to a level where they are reliably ingrained and instinctive.

I think ocean diving is viewed differently. I dive lakes and solo is common practice around here. I don't dare say it is smart for everyone but it is a personal choice today only you can make. I dive solo often, in fact I'm going in the morning...I plan my dive and dive my plan, I keep it simple and usually stay shallow. Many times I'm spearfishing which on a lake means 25' and under. I would never dive solo without a cutting device.

I also see as many solo divers as buddies on some of the lakes. Accidents are very rare and usually involve a
medical condition. Having said all of that, I much prefer diving with a buddy and it usually adds to the safety of the dive. Only you are responsible for yourself. Be smart, conservative, thorough, and enjoy!

Good depth. I try to stay 30' or less (CESA). If you don't know the site, ascertain if it is "benign". DO NOT BECOME ENTRAPPED--you are alone.

Honestly, do what you want to do. If conditions are mild with minimum surf and you aren't planning a deep dive, I see nothing wrong with puttering around in 20' to 30' deep. Just remember that some of the annoited ones on the board may possibly rip into you for even thinking of such a thing.

Honestly, do what you want to do. If conditions are mild with minimum surf and you aren't planning a deep dive, I see nothing wrong with puttering around in 20' to 30' deep.

Are those the sole elements of your solo diving risk assessment? :idk:

Just remember that some of the annoited ones on the board may possibly rip into you for even thinking of such a thing.

That's a myth... and doesn't reflect the reality here, or even within the wider scuba community.

The only thing that occasionally gets 'ripped' is when a diver displays wrong mindset towards this higher risk diving activity.

i have dove the spot 6 time at least. im pretty level headed and stay calm under pressure.

Solo diving makes you a safer and better diver as it teaches you to be self-sufficient. If you want to continue to solo dive I would suggest you get yourself a small pony tank (19 is a good size) and dive with it slung. Dive Rite sells a sling kit that works fine.

Adam

be sure to have a redundant source of air/gas. tell someone when you should be back and where you are going and don't plan on a cesa to save you. take a course on solo/self reliant diving...if you actually have 25-49 dives it's too early in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom