solo diving c-card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001 once bubbled...

You may have read it incorrectly. If you read the French page they use the word "autonomie", which has several meanings in English, including 'independenly', 'self-sufficiently' and so forth. They probably made 'solo' from it not realising that it would cause confusion. In other words, it's probably just a bad translation from French to English.

R..

I agree, it looks like they had no clue in the first place since they also stated that it was a certification to 60M (Level 3 (from age 18, solo diving to 60 metres) :
Quote from the website
French training :

Level 1 (from age 12 - dive at 20 metres, supervised by an instructor or a divemaster) :
Very easy training to learn the basics of diving. The course is based on 6 dives with some theory.

Level 2 (from age 16 - solo dive at 20 metres or supervised dive at 40 metres)
Full training to ensure your safety in solo diving. It is based on 15 dives, the theory classes will be arranged to suit your availability.

Level 3 (from age 18, solo diving to 60 metres) :
First aid training is necessary in advance or during the course. This course adds to what you learned on level 2 and makes a start on diving management and organisation. Based on 15 dives, the number of theory sessions will be planned according to what you have learned so far and your availability.
:

20 Metres = 65.6' at age 12?
40 Metres = 131.2' at age 16
60 Mteres = 196.8' !?!?!

I am not thinking this is correct. I am not a PADI pusher but it is incredible that PADI is not aware of this and allows it.

I just re read the web page and although they had PADI on their page these depths are not for the PADI courses as they call the PADI courses 'International training' and the others are 'french' courses (leave it to the french). For the PADI courses they have the correct PADI limits.

International training :
PADI teaching is now recognised in more than 190 countries (USA, Australia, the Maldives, Egypt, Switzerland…). The French legislation recognizes PADI divers by giving them French training level credits. Here are the details:

Open Water Diver (18 metres, solo) :
In 9 sessions, you will learn solo diving: dive tables, orientation, and the technique and the pleasure of underwater discovery.

Advanced Open Water Diver (30 metres, solo) :
5 dives with training on different themes: orientation, deep dive, drift dive, photo, night dive, marine life…

Ron Brandt once bubbled...
Once again , I will ask? If I write a solo course ,just exactly how do I certify the trainee diver without being on the dive myself?

When flight training a pilot has to "solo" at the end of the course. The instructor waits on the ground.

I guess you can toss your student in, and "if" he comes back, hand him a card :rolleyes:

there was a good article about this last month. I get all the mags so I forgot where I read it but it had to be rodale or padi mag.

Didn't any one else see it?

I'll look it up and post the details.

perpet1 once bubbled...

<snip>

20 Metres = 65.6' at age 12?
40 Metres = 131.2' at age 16
60 Mteres = 196.8' !?!?!

<snip>
[/B]

The "FRench" training they reference is CMAS, not PADI. These limits up to 60 metres are CMAS limits.

R..

perpet1 once bubbled...
Level 1 (from age 12 - dive at 20 metres, supervised by an instructor or a divemaster) :
Very easy training to learn the basics of diving. The course is based on 6 dives with some theory.

Level 2 (from age 16 - solo dive at 20 metres or supervised dive at 40 metres)
Full training to ensure your safety in solo diving. It is based on 15 dives, the theory classes will be arranged to suit your availability.

Level 3 (from age 18, solo diving to 60 metres) :
First aid training is necessary in advance or during the course. This course adds to what you learned on level 2 and makes a start on diving management and organisation. Based on 15 dives, the number of theory sessions will be planned according to what you have learned so far and your availability.
[/B]

this has nothing to do with PADI.

It's the French federation, otherwise known as FFESSM, and it's their niveaux, or levels, which are explained above.

Solo is a very bad translation of "en autonomie", which means a buddy team authorized to dive without direct supervision of a professional (usually Niveau 4 or higher).

PADI is not recognised in France as one of the certifying agencies, it is barely admitted.

A PADI instructor cannot teach in French territory unless he has a "brevet d'état" which is no small feat to accomplish.

Ron Brandt once bubbled...
I was going to write a distinctive speciality for PADI SOLO DIVER
but have not done so yet .....or never :boom:

SDI is THE solo agency

Think I will check out PADI France.

Once again , I will ask? If I write a solo course ,just exactly how do I certify the trainee diver without being on the dive myself?

If I were on the dive , it would not be a solo dive.

Ron

Good question! How does SDI do it? Has anyone here taken the SDI calss? Either way its a catch22,if you dive w/ the student hes not solo, and your certfing him/her on something you havent seen them do or they go solo and you certify them on something you havent seen them do.

Let us know what happens.

Sean326 once bubbled...
there was a good article about this last month. I get all the mags so I forgot where I read it but it had to be rodale or padi mag.

Didn't any one else see it?

I'll look it up and post the details.

Yeah it was on Rodales. It was kinda pushing solo diving and SDI saying "Can you get rid of your buddy and dive safer" and Your ticket to diving freedom. Ck out this post started by your truly on that article http://www.scubaboard.com/t33220/s.html

chiara once bubbled...

PADI is not recognised in France as one of the certifying agencies, it is barely admitted.

Of course not. Why does this not surprise me. I'm surprised that there was even english on the page at all. Isn't that against some french law or something? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom