Solo diving certification

Are you allowed to dive solo? Please elaborae in comments

• I have SDI solo diver certificaion and have always been allowed to dive solo

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • I have SDI solo diver certification but have been denied the ability to dive solo

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I have PADI self reliant diver certification and have always been allowed to dive solo

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have PADI self reliant diver certification but have been denied the abiltiy to dive solo

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I am not solo certified and have always been able to dive solo

Votes: 72 57.6%
  • I am not solo certified and have been denied the ability to dive solo

Votes: 18 14.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... none of the above ...

I have no solo certifications, have been allowed to dive solo off some boats and not allowed to dive solo off of others. In none of the latter cases was it because I lacked the card ... in all cases it was because the boat had a strict "no solo" policy ... in which case the correct response is to honor their policy (their boat, their rules) or find a different boat ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Until I got my SDI Solo card I found that one of my instructor cards was usually enough wherever I went. I don't even carry the solo card in my wallet unless I think I might need it. Then I pull out my Solo Instructor card.

Some issues with the poll. Not enough options.
I have the SDI sole cert. MOST of my dives have been effectively solo. However, several times a year... with ops I am not a "regular" on....i've not been allowed to solo dive. The reason most often given is "we don't acknowledge that cert".

The poll really is not complete. I solo dive most of the time from my own boat or my kayak or from shore. Occasionally I have been able to dive solo from a charter operation. And have done so all my 45 years of diving.

I plan to dive with less restriction from charter ops and believe that the solo card, that I got last summer, will be more useful as at least some ops hopefully will honor it. To be clear, I did not get a card to lean how to solo dive, I had been doing that for 45 years. I got the card to facilitate diving from commercial operations that have in the past had a no solo policy. I feel that such policies should change now that there are two widely recognized diving organizations providing a recreational SCUBA solo certification.

Over the years I have been refused solo, no nitrox, no diving without a snorkel, no back inflate (what are called a wing today) , times change, this will change too, I hope.

N

Where is the one that says,

"I dive with regular buddies that are "Same Ocean buddies" so we don't mess with any of that."

I don't fit any category. I have no card and solo shore dive almost exclusively, so no one to permit or deny me. When on a charter (maybe once, twice a year, Gulf of Mexico), I take whatever instabuddy. Several times I have either been allowed or encouraged to dive solo as they knew I was a DM (cases where the boat DM was busy with newbies and I was a third wheel, etc.). But, I really don't like diving solo much below 30' if at all possible.

I have dived solo since my first descent on SCUBA back in 1962. Locally I have never been denied the opportunity to dive solo but on numerous trips to foreign destinations I have either been required to stay with a buddy or the group. I understand the reasons for that given potential dive operator liability. A number of dive ops in foreign destinations have allowed me to dive semi-solo (as "in sight of the group").

Makes for awful photos and videos when you cannot get away from the thrashing and chaos. N

Back
Top Bottom