Solo diving certification

Are you allowed to dive solo? Please elaborae in comments

• I have SDI solo diver certificaion and have always been allowed to dive solo

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • I have SDI solo diver certification but have been denied the ability to dive solo

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I have PADI self reliant diver certification and have always been allowed to dive solo

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have PADI self reliant diver certification but have been denied the abiltiy to dive solo

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I am not solo certified and have always been able to dive solo

Votes: 72 57.6%
  • I am not solo certified and have been denied the ability to dive solo

Votes: 18 14.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, not the perfect poll, but, interesting, nevertheless

One third of respondents SDI certified, none PADI certified, two thirds not certified. Less not certified divers appear to have been denied ability to solo dive but may be many reasons for this.

What I really wanted to know was ability to dive solo in a situation where certification was generally required.

Many of us dive, or have dived, with operators we know well or who simply do not require buddy diving. My first solo dive followed being booted off the boat in San Diego without any question about a buddy. I took full advantage, the rest is history. The majority of my dives are solo and I'm only asked about certification by operators who do not know me and require it.

Lastly, where should solo diving reside on SB? This thread was initially posted to the Advanced forum and then got hidden away in the Solo subforum of the Technical forum. I did not weigh in during the previous debate of this topic. Solo diving is an advanced activity, not a technical activity. It would benefit from the wider exposure afforded by being in the Advanced forum

Good solo diving, Craig

Currently U.S. Army rules...buddy dive at all times. There have been those times when I wished I was diving solo :)

What I really wanted to know was ability to dive solo in a situation where certification was generally required.

Good solo diving, Craig

Craig, what is the end purpose or answer for which you are looking?

If "certification is generally required", it seems like "what is a good argument to get away with diving solo?" would be that for which you are looking. . . .

Craig, what is the end purpose or answer for which you are looking?

If "certification is generally required", it seems like "what is a good argument to get away with diving solo?" would be that for which you are looking. . . .

Thought I might get an idea of relative number of solo certs SDI vs PADI (I may have) and relative success using those certs (I did not)

There's no option in this poll (or in any other poll I've seen) that accurately addresses a particular segment of solo divers. It can't even be labeled as a solo group, because by definition they are not part of any group. I get the feeling there is plenty of us out there in the waters of the world, but even this cyber diving in forums may be too much socialization for some.

Is not about being AGAINST safe practices, or desire to learn, or not being paired up with a bad buddy. Is about doing one's own thing, diving one's dive, learning at one's speed using whatever sources one see fit, applying as much or as little risk mitigation as one decides.

At its root this type of solo diver is about the ONE instead of the many. Not because one thinks is better than the group, but this particular one rather follow one's style, it may be about actual procedures, or gear, or the rhythm/sequence, or simply a combination of these factors .

So no, having a solo card doesn't fit this mentality because now this diver is supposed to follow the procedures set by others.
Even having to justify one's style to a charter becomes a hardship seldom worth the effort, so most likely will either not dive or just tolerate whatever buddy is assigned by the operator. What type of buddy is this solo diver? most likely varies as much as the general population of divers: from great to borderline dangerous.

A expansion of the above thought process would be that those divers serious about diving solo, do not go looking for trouble, they go diving. That means we contact operators prior to arrival and find out the operators requirements. We either meet those requirements or move on to a operator or location with requirements that are acceptable to us.

YMMV
Eric

I have an ANDI solo cert - pretty rare but have never had anyone question it. If the boat allows solo diving then they usually have no issue with me solo diving. The exception is a liveaboard that wants to do a checkout dive before allowing solo diving. Have always been happy to do the checkout dive and then solo dive from then on.

Have been denied solo diving, but that was operators that simply do not allow solo diving cert or no. In general I try to avoid those operators as they also tend to insist on DM's as well.

A expansion of the above thought process would be that those divers serious about diving solo, do not go looking for trouble, they go diving. That means we contact operators prior to arrival and find out the operators requirements. We either meet those requirements or move on to a operator or location with requirements that are acceptable to us.

YMMV
Eric
This. Not worth wasting time with nanny operations.

My first exposure to solo rejection was when going to a dive site and not having a buddy with me at check in. Rules were must have a buddy or solo card , or some unremembered level of technical card to get to lake access. If you were with a group then they had to come to the gate to get you and take you as a buddy. I want to day that when checking in,,,x your waiver included the ID of your buddy. Of course for 600.00 they would outfit you, train you, and provide you with a solo card.

Solo diving is an advanced activity, not a technical activity.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't see anything particularly "advanced" about the skills, gear, or experience needed to be a safe, competent solo diver.

That said - irrespective of the location of the solo forum - I think that the mindset and execution of an effective solo dive has a lot in common with "tech" diving.

In fact, I think it's fair to say that there's a difference between a diver who merely "dives alone" vs one who is a "solo diver" in many respects. Just as donning a doubles rig doesn't magically turn someone into a tech diver... lack of a buddy doesn't magically make one a solo diver.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom