Solo Diving in the ocean in your own boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only do it on small lakes where the shore is accessable from the water but can't be crossed to do a shore dive (private). Even then I anchor shallow, make sure the hook is buried and keep my dive near shore. I prefer not to have a long swim at the end of a dive.

Anchors pull loose. I know of folks who did it, had a very unpleasant adventure they survived, and do not do it anymore. It is a big ocean and off NC the currents are heading for Europe.

WHAT..???

currents dont head to europe, they head north or south... depending on where you are... if in the gulf stream you head up to new york.....

i have done it many times on inshore stuff...

we go out all the time with friends spearfishing and leave unattended boats...

precautions....

have a GOOD anchor... fortress, etc... that is CORRECT FOR THE CONDITIONS....

have an oversized line.. i use 5/8" on my 23' and a 25 lb danforth...

make sure all components are in good condition.

tie line on at two locations in case one gives up purchase.

eliminate chafe hazards..

and use a grapple to tie into a wreck if you are diving one....

Although I have dived solo off a boat alone, I have not done it often and I know it was not my finest hour. Some places are easier to get away with it, and life is about choices.

Just a warm body in the boat can put both of you at risk, as one with no boating experience may be of no use when the anchor drags and they don't notice. Or you drift out and the "warm body" can't do a man overboard drill. Find someone who can handle a boat or train one. Look for someone who likes to fish, they will enjoy the trip.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

WHAT..???

currents dont head to europe, they head north or south... depending on where you are... if in the gulf stream you head up to new york.....

Actually there is a southerly current and a northerly current that meet off hatteras. The gulf stream itself then heads over and hits northern Europe. That is why England has a milder winter than Eastern Canada. So if you are off say Wilmington, you would be carried north and if you get picked up by the gulf stream you head for Europe.

Of course there are all sorts of Eddies, etc

Attachments

• OCC_Fig6_1_1.jpg
    OCC_Fig6_1_1.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 373
I've done it now and then, but the currents aren't typically much, the wind is onshore, I'm never too far from shore to swim, and the boat is an inflatable that's easy to anchor fairly securely. The anchor has never dragged, and setting it by hand is always the first stop of the dive. Of course something could break, but again, the inflatable doesn't put a lot of strain on the gear. The likelihood of being stranded seems low. Even with buddies, we leave the boat unattended.

It depends, I have and will again. If the dive is within swimming distance of shore, there are no currents or wind, relatively shallow and clear water. I keep my dive to the anchor and if I want to move, pick the anchor up. I would more often leave my wife up top who is fully capable of operating the boat.

Then there is my kayak, I do not anchor it per say, if I set the anchor down for a moment I do not leave it. When ready to move, pick it up again.

But, I have made swimming shore dives up to two miles from shore (or entry point), with no boat and no BC either, just an inner tube float and flag and had a blast.

I do not know what other people can do, only what I can do, so take nothing I do as a recommendation for what you should do.

N

I do it all the time, but it is in a marine park green zone which has permanent moorings(to save damage to corals), has regular boat traffic and has a patch of reef which has areas dry even at high tide .

if I anchor at other sites, I do prefer to have somebody attend the boat even if that's another boat nearby. My anchor weight is probably double what's required and is a plow anchor 20lb with over 8meters of 8mm chain and a floating rode, it never has pulled and I check that its well set after I descend. At one particular wreck dive I dive down and shackle the chain to the wreck, instead of using the anchor.

If the weather isn't good I don't bother.

I do it but it's pretty much a shore dive with a boat, I'm within 1/4 mile of shore. Worst case with current would be,swim ashore walk up current and swim to boat. If it breaks lose, I'll use my towboatUS membership and ask them to recover it. I've been doing it for many years and have only had a problem a few times when the current shifted but managed to get back to the boat. I currently have my boat set up with a blower, 3 point anchor set up and hookah. I feel comfortable with the diving but want some one onboard for set up of the blower and monitoring 3 point anchoring. It's too easy to get a finger or hand stuck somewhere

It certainly sorts the men from the boys when it come to UW navigation, saves long hard surface swims to figure out using a compass properly. This is what I call training, getting fitter/stronger from long swims in hard currents(planning your dive to be up current first, knowing how geography and tides changes the current direction and strength), learning to navigate accurately(my vis is average 15m+) and good gas management so you don't have to do long surface swims because of air limitations(having 8's, 10's, 12's and 15litre tanks) surface currents are generally much stronger then close to the bottom/ silhouetting bommies, gutters and walls- it can be impossible to get back on the surface!!

Hello OP,

An experienced mariner (professional) mariner would not leave an anchored boat unattended. The prudent mariner would not leave an anchored vessel to a "warm body." Operating a boat and retrieving ground tackle can be difficult for a newbie.

Most yachties don't have proper ground tackle nor the skill to use the gear properly.

However, I have dived off a boat that was unmanned. It was in a lake under flat calm conditions--also, we were in a confined area.

I was diving the Northern Channel Islands. The vessel had a highly competent professional crew. Their boat handling and seamanship skills were superb. We two-point moored close to the island in a protected cove. Within 2 hours the wind was up to 50 knots. We were still in the lee but the gusts would still blow through.

We dragged our bow anchor. The crew let the stern anchor go to keep the vessel from pivoting off the stern anchor and onto the reef. I was picked-up by the zodiac. It happened again later that day; but this time the stern line was parted. I was picked-up by the zodiac again.

Sh**t happens on the ocean.

Oh yea, if you are along the east coast, the Gulf Stream will take you to Europe, if you let it.

markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom