Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
Terry is right, but ANY diver doing something stupid can die, not just solo diving.

I solo because I take photos and it takes time to get the right shot. Photographers are not good buddies unless they are just interested in snapping a few shots and checking out the reef with their buddy. Me and some of my friends who are photographers can spend 15 or 20 minutes on one subject, changing angles, camera settings and strobe position. It's not fair for a buddy to wait around like that and frankly, we are not attentive enough to have a buddy. That's not to say we have to be completely alone. Lots of times we can see each other but we are diving solo.

Solo diving is not for everyone, you have to have firm personal limits and stick to them.

I commend you for knowing you would be a bad dive buddy and letting your partner know that ahead of time. When I carry a camera I tell my pick-up diving buddy they are more important than any shot I might get. I'm a better buddy than photographer, as evidenced by my mediocre shots:)

pilot fish:
I commend you for knowing you would be a bad dive buddy and letting your partner know that ahead of time. When I carry a camera I tell my pick-up diving buddy they are more important than any shot I might get. I'm a better buddy than photographer, as evidenced by my mediocre shots:)

What's your secret to being a good buddy, PiFi? How do you do it?

Sometimes if you have a buddy that you dive with all the time and they like spotting critters for you, it can be a good buddy experience. If I have to dive with someone, I always have my camera now, I don't take many photos or else use wide angle and include my buddy in some shots. It's one thing to want to and be ready to solo yourself but it is not fair to put your buddy, who may not be prepared to solo, in that position.

pilot fish:
Well, herbleman, putting the buddy first. How are you a good buddy?

"Putting the buddy first" is PiFi for "I have no clue, but it sounds good to me".

Enlighten us, please. Tell you what, I'll start a thread.

Here's a link to it, PiFi.

pilot fish:
Well, herbleman, putting the buddy first. How are you a good buddy?
You mean like the DM's that you think are your buddy but are not?

mtg:
As someone who has had the importance of your buddy (and being a buddy) pounded into my head. I wonder why people get into solo diving. Many of the stories I have heard about diver deaths have been when the diver went out alone, or went down without a buddy. Is it adrenaline? Necessity (are they grouchy?:light: )?

What say you?

With me it is go solo or do not dive for the most part. I have no buddies other than my wife who works and I am retired. So I have to go it alone. The good solo diver practices special precautions to go with the soloing. I don't dive too deep (60 to 70 ft max, but usually 40 to 50 ft) I also do not do dangerous and technical dives while soloing. I carry a stand alone, redundant air source of decent capacity (13 cf to 19 cf) and carry back up essentials such as multiple cutting tools. In addition I train year round practice skills such as mask and regulator recovery and free diving to train for our of air emergencies.

Deaths have occurred with 'crazy buddies' killing off their assigned buddy diver in a panic. So there is no guarantee either way of buddy or solo. I'd prefer to solo in most cases instead of being pared up with some unknown entity that would kill me in a fit of craziness.BTW, much prejudice with solo diving. I was turned away a few springs in Fla while solo. A good book on the subject is:

Solo Diving, 2nd Edition: The Art of Underwater Self-sufficiency (Paperback)
by Robert Von Maier

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1881652289/102-3540439-2020153?v=glance&n=283155

Although, just like solo diving itself, their are extreme views as to the helpfulness of this book. I liked it in any case.

Solo Scuba

INTRODUCTION
The objective of this course is to train divers in the benefits, hazards and proper procedures for diving solo. Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in solo diving activities.
STUDENT PREREQUISITES
A. Minimum age: 21 years.
B. Minimum certification of Advanced Diver or equivalent.
C. Minimum of 100 logged dives.
D. Review and complete Medical History form and Liability Release form.
E. Review and complete Solo Diver Release form.
EXECUTION AND STRUCTURE
A. Open water execution:
1. Two open water dives are required with complete briefs and debriefs;
2. All dives must include surface interval, max. no-deco time, etc., to be figured out and logged during the debriefing.
B. Course structure: SDI allows instructors to structure courses according to the number of students participating and
their skill level.
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
A. Basic SDI open water scuba equipment (exception: "safe second" or "octopus" is not allowed as redundant air
source).
B. One of the following must be used as a redundant air source: pony bottle, twin cylinders with isolation valve,
independent doubles, Spare Air(TM).
REQUIRED SKILL PERFORMANCE
Skills are to be performed in the open water. In order to complete this course, the student must demonstrate
understanding of the techniques to properly execute a solo dive.
A. Swimming skills: Perform a surface swim of 200 meters in full scuba gear (gear configuration appropriate to local
diving conditions). Must be nonstop and performed in an open water environment.
B. Scuba skills:
1. Demonstrate adequate predive planning;
2. Determine limits based on personal gas consumption;
3. Perform exact dive and/or decompression profile.
C. Properly execute the planned dive within all predetermined limits:
1. Equipment configuration appropriate for solo diving:
a. streamlining equipment;
b. use and carry of redundant air supply.
2. Proper descent/ascent rates.
3. Proper safety stop procedures: monitoring of decompression status equipment (tables, computers, equipment).
D. Navigation skills:
1. Demonstrate proficiency of navigation with compass;
2. Demonstrate emergency change-over to a backup regulator or bailout scuba at a depth not exceeding 100 fsw /
30 msw;
3. Deploy surface marker and use of surface audible signaling device.
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
In order to complete this course, students must:
A. Satisfactorily complete the Solo Course written examination.
B. Complete all open water requirements safely and efficiently.
C. Demonstrate mature, sound judgement concerning dive planning and execution.
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates will be issued the SDI Solo Diver Specialty certification card.

Diver Dennis:
Sometimes if you have a buddy that you dive with all the time and they like spotting critters for you, it can be a good buddy experience. If I have to dive with someone, I always have my camera now, I don't take many photos or else use wide angle and include my buddy in some shots. It's one thing to want to and be ready to solo yourself but it is not fair to put your buddy, who may not be prepared to solo, in that position.

Well said. In that cse it can be fun and the buddy knows what the dive will entail.

dherbman:
"Putting the buddy first" is PiFi for "I have no clue, but it sounds good to me".

Enlighten us, please. Tell you what, I'll start a thread.

Here's a link to it, PiFi.

You don't put your buddy first, herbiman? Do you really have to be enlightened on this subject?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom