Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
Some do it because they enjoy the solitude, some do it when the only buddy available is a bad buddy. Some do it because they enjoy kicking Darwin in the *****.

FWIW, I beleive an easy solo dive in well known conditions is probably a lot safer than a dive in unknown conditions with a bad buddy.

Many times the solo divers who get killed are doing something stupid.

Terry

Many times I will take a snorkel to check out of an area before soloing. Same with kayaking whitewater, I scout out the rapids. Some solo divers scoff at redundant pony tanks. Diving solo and deep enough without redundant air...that is a death wish. That is where I draw the line.

pilot fish:
There are as many bad reasons for diving solo as there are good. It is unwise to dive alone, which is why all the agencies in the World stress buddy diving.

oops, mistake...

Diver Dennis:
Me and some of my friends who are photographers can spend 15 or 20 minutes on one subject, changing angles, camera settings and strobe position.

I imagine it would be easy to get caught up in that and get disoriented, or overlimit. Did you do any special training, or use some mental tricks to keep you on target?

allenwrench:
A good book on the subject is:

Solo Diving, 2nd Edition: The Art of Underwater Self-sufficiency (Paperback)
by Robert Von Maier

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1881652289/102-3540439-2020153?v=glance&n=283155

Although, just like solo diving itself, their are extreme views as to the helpfulness of this book. I liked it in any case.

Solo Scuba

INTRODUCTION
The objective of this course is to train divers in the benefits, hazards and proper procedures for diving solo. Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in solo diving activities.
STUDENT PREREQUISITES
A. Minimum age: 21 years.
B. Minimum certification of Advanced Diver or equivalent.
C. Minimum of 100 logged dives.
D. Review and complete Medical History form and Liability Release form.
E. Review and complete Solo Diver Release form.
EXECUTION AND STRUCTURE
A. Open water execution:
1. Two open water dives are required with complete briefs and debriefs;
2. All dives must include surface interval, max. no-deco time, etc., to be figured out and logged during the debriefing.
B. Course structure: SDI allows instructors to structure courses according to the number of students participating and
their skill level.
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
A. Basic SDI open water scuba equipment (exception: "safe second" or "octopus" is not allowed as redundant air
source).
B. One of the following must be used as a redundant air source: pony bottle, twin cylinders with isolation valve,
independent doubles, Spare Air(TM).
REQUIRED SKILL PERFORMANCE
Skills are to be performed in the open water. In order to complete this course, the student must demonstrate
understanding of the techniques to properly execute a solo dive.
A. Swimming skills: Perform a surface swim of 200 meters in full scuba gear (gear configuration appropriate to local
diving conditions). Must be nonstop and performed in an open water environment.
B. Scuba skills:
1. Demonstrate adequate predive planning;
2. Determine limits based on personal gas consumption;
3. Perform exact dive and/or decompression profile.
C. Properly execute the planned dive within all predetermined limits:
1. Equipment configuration appropriate for solo diving:
a. streamlining equipment;
b. use and carry of redundant air supply.
2. Proper descent/ascent rates.
3. Proper safety stop procedures: monitoring of decompression status equipment (tables, computers, equipment).
D. Navigation skills:
1. Demonstrate proficiency of navigation with compass;
2. Demonstrate emergency change-over to a backup regulator or bailout scuba at a depth not exceeding 100 fsw /
30 msw;
3. Deploy surface marker and use of surface audible signaling device.
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
In order to complete this course, students must:
A. Satisfactorily complete the Solo Course written examination.
B. Complete all open water requirements safely and efficiently.
C. Demonstrate mature, sound judgement concerning dive planning and execution.
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates will be issued the SDI Solo Diver Specialty certification card.

Thanks for good food for thought:blinking:

I solo dive frequently because this is very enjoyable to me. I find joy and solitude on a solo dive and I am much more at ease alone. I keep air consumption rates in my log book and solo dives inevitably provide a lower scr than diving with a buddy.( I also enjoy buddy dives and I think solo diving has led me to be a better, more conscientious partner.) I am, however, prepared for solo diving and use a pony bottle for back-up. My guess would be that solo recreational divers have no worse of an injury rate than buddy divers, and maybe even superior performance because of practice and comfort in the water. Many of the so-called "solo injuries" are cases of buddy separation which puts the shoe on the other foot.

mtg:
I imagine it would be easy to get caught up in that and get disoriented, or overlimit. Did you do any special training, or use some mental tricks to keep you on target?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by disoriented or over limit. You do have to develop habits like checking your gas every few minute and being aware of time, I set a 60 minute max time with the DM before we go in. Since almost all of my dives are done in a resort setting I am on a boat with others to start out, hence the time limit and I discuss my dive plan with the DM before we leave.

JeffG:
You mean like the DM's that you think are your buddy but are not?
:lol: :lol:

There's an old saying, as powerful as "never dive alone," which goes something like: "One boy is one boy. Two boys is half a boy. Three boys is no boy at all." While supposedly uttered to a boy by a crusty old farmer, it has additional value for flavoring this conversation, in my opinion. Gender is not important here, but it's true that boys are worse than girls in this regard.

"Safe," has little to do with number of divers, unless the number is zero, IMO. It has everything to do with experience, and to a lesser extent, with training. I prefer not to dive alone, if I can buddy with a diver of equal or greater experience who shares the goals of the dive. Anyone else, I would prefer they dive with an instructor or apply the same criteria to their choice of buddy.

The less experience you have, the more strictly you should apply these criteria. Two complete noobs should be much more picky about the dive and conditions, and should back that up with the advice and blessing of their instructor(s.)

Any advanced dive is generally too much risk for me to voluntarily attempt in total isolation. Limited access, deep, swift, dirty or boat diving in isolation is dumber 'n mooning an excited baboon. But I will dive without a buddy in some of these situations if there's trusted human backup on the surface.

That said, if you have trusted and compatible buddies to dive with, and your goals are being met, you should probably not be considering solo diving. But be aware there will come a day when you look around and realize that most divers you meet have much less experience than you have. That's when the solo equations might begin to solve themselves in your favor. This will take much longer than most people believe it will, so remember: "Never dive without a buddy of equal or greater experience who shares the goals of the dive." Not diving is certainly not the worst thing that can happen to you on any given day.

"Never dive alone," is not a safe diving rule; it is a fuzzy phrase and, more like a religion. The followers sometimes translate it literally. Forgive them.

Never start a dive you do not feel qualified to solo on. Never dive without a compatible buddy of equal or greater experience who shares the goals of the dive. Those are ideas I can live with, defend and recommend to others.

pilot fish:
Well, herbleman, putting the buddy first. How are you a good buddy?

I never claimed to be a good buddy, PiFi. You have, on several occasions. Why are you so coy about sharing your knowledge?

I think this is a great topic and posted a thread. Please, feel free to contribute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom