Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I dont but I would consider it

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • I prefer to dive alone

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never start out alone but if my buddy runs low on air and we are either very near the boat or doing a drift I will see him/her to the up line and continue on my own although somewhat more conservatively.

Scuba Chip once bubbled...
Solo Diving isn't any riskier than buddy diving....... unless you're a relatively new diver, in which case, you need a knowledgeable dive buddy to show You the way.
TDI now offers a course, and grants certifications in Solo Diving.
I refer back to my first post....

Scubaroo--
Do we get a discount if we have a solo card for the 240' deep air class?

Sometimes a dive solo, sometimes I don't; depending on a number of factors - including [gasp] sometimes I just want to be alone underwater.

Like any type, diving solo requires a methodical, mature, and deliberate approach. Diving alone doesn't make a dive inherently unsafe, just like diving with a buddy doesn't automatically make a dive safe.

I really get a kick out of these guys that get in the water twice a year with a million danglies and a backup reg dragging in the sand, but, that doesn't stop them from jumping sreacming about solo diving being reckless.

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
I really get a kick out of these guys that get in the water twice a year with a million danglies and a backup reg dragging in the sand, but, that doesn't stop them from jumping sreacming about solo diving being reckless.
Is that comment directed at anyone in particular?

Scuba Chip once bubbled...

TDI now offers a course, and grants certifications in Solo Diving.

That's not saying a whole lot...TDI is not exactly an authority on the subject of diving.

I really get a kick out of these guys that get in the water twice a year with a million danglies and a backup reg dragging in the sand, but, that doesn't stop them from jumping sreacming about solo diving being reckless

Doubtful

What is the greater responsibility; Taking your own life in your hands and relying on redundant equipment or Vowing to take resposibilty for the lives of others. If I am not mistaking when you use the buddy system your promising to be responsible for the welfare of your buddy. At least if I die in a scuba accident no one will be to blame except me! It kinda upsets me that people cant look outside the box. If it was taught in basic scuba it must be the law(You know if you dont wear a snorkel underwater the scuba police will hall you away). I think the guy I was dealing with must be an instructor because in all the emails he put the same thing: You should have been trained to never dive alone.:upset:

Charlie99 once bubbled...

My response is similar --- I prefer to dive with a buddy; believe that buddy diving is generally safer than solo; but will still ocassionally do solo dives after due considerations of the overall risk of the dive.

Charlie

Not to pick on you but I just came from another thread where you said you dived a DIR philosophy. DIR is very unbending on the issue of solo diving.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...

That's not saying a whole lot...TDI is not exactly an authority on the subject of diving.

Your right. I don't think they offer a sidemount class. How could any agency be considered an authority on diving without sidemount expertise? It's beyond the pale!

Scubaroo once bubbled...

I think it's directed at the people who dive twice a year with a million danglies and a backup reg dragging in the sand and still warn of the dangers of solo diving. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom