Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I dont but I would consider it

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • I prefer to dive alone

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Not to pick on you but I just came from another thread where you said you dived a DIR philosophy. DIR is very unbending on the issue of solo diving.
:arrow: Ouch!

Sometimes I compromise and do what is not correct..... well, maybe lots of times.

If I truly dove DIR philosophy, then I would NEVER EVER use a yoke type tank, since it is much inferior to a DIN, but convenience of using the tanks available on a charter boat usually wins out over the marginal increase in safety of a DIN.

My attitude towards solo diving is similar.

Scubaroo,

No I wasn't trying to flame anyone specifically (involved with this thread).

It's just a touchy issue with me, because it seems like alot of people that look down their nose at solo divers are in fact themselves very unsafe divers, which was the point of my post.

Personally, I've had people, as I described, make comments to me ("only morons dive alone") and I just look them, their attitudes, their training, and their gear and laugh.

The bottom line is solo divers get bashed very badly and most of the comments are total BS.

Not to be stupid, but are we defining "solo" as grabbing some tanks and heading off completely by yourself, or does it include being with a group on a dive boat, but w/o a buddy.

I've yet to do the former, but have done the latter on several occassions. The way I see it, I pay my money, I don't want my dive messed up by some schmuck. At the same time, I don't want to cut anyone's dive short because my air consumption isn't the best.

Like so much with diving, this is a personal decision...do what you're comfortable with and never be pressured into anything.

I would say either one is solo diving and neither case should be taken on it's face as inherently unsafe. I have several "remote" shore dives that I do alone - no one else wants to hike all the way there and I don't really want anyone else there.

Basic solo precautions for me: only dive under ideal circumstances - weather, my mental/physical state - if everything is not perfect I won't go in the water, carry a good size redundant air source (ussually a slung 40cu stage), stay swallow - at a depth I can easily free dive to, carry a strobe and saftey sausage ( I would like a dye pack and a whistle too), fold up snorkle, and basically pay attention/be aware.

My case is a little differnet that being stuck on a charter and forced to buddy up with someone I don't know, now that to me is just insane.

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
My case is a little differnet that being stuck on a charter and forced to buddy up with someone I don't know, now that to me is just insane.

Try it, you might like it :eek:

For some, it is actually a good way to meet other divers. For others like me, whose S/O doesn't dive, don't travel with groups of diving buddies and don't have the experience or desire to dive solo, it works just fine. :wink:

I agree with previously expressed sentiments in this string: I prefer a buddy but if no one is available then I will solo dive.
I see no reason why not if one is fit, properly trained, and with proper, working-order equipment.:D

I solo dive quite regularly. The only real bother is doing up the back zip on my dry suit as it tends to catch on the undersuit so I either don't wear the undersuit and freeze or beg some stranger passing by for help. Diving with a regular buddy with whom you have a rapport is great but I find its the rare exception. I don't enjoy diving with the average scoobie. Maybe I am hyper critical or hyper sensitive but I find so many amatuer divers don't really have a clue how to dive as a buddy. They may be in my close proximity but the awareness level or concept of diving together is generally missing. Regarding the safety aspect IMO for such a person to render you assistance would be a miracle. Chasing after them and watching and following them as they fin obliviously along in their own world is something I can no longer be bothered with.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...

That's not saying a whole lot...TDI is not exactly an authority on the subject of diving.

Since when are you such an authority to say that a certification agency is not an authority on the subject of diving?

The fact is TDI is the largest techincal diving certification agency in THE WORLD (based upon number of certifications registered). That sure is some kind of authority, isn't it? Did they reach this plateau through stupidity and ignorance? How do they get support from certifying instructors - who choose to teach and certify through their courses and standards? How do they manage support from liability insurance underwriters in this midst of this sue everybody society?

I remember how PADI (and others) fought against the introduction of Nitrox to sport diving claiming it was dangerous, that bodies would be floating in the bays, lakes, and coastlines of America. Sport diver use of nitrox is mainstream today.

Now, the rantings are against "rebreathers" and "solo diving". It really amounts to a dispute between Democrats and Republicans, a choice between Chocolate and Strawberry. To each their own.
Newer divers need to learn from the experienced among us. Solo diving for them is assuming a huge risk. I have never refused to take a newbie along with me. But what is so terrible about a experienced diver enjoying him / herself alone in the water? Forget for just one second what your certifaction course presented. Start with a fresh, fair minded approach. Sure, it is more enjoyable to share the underwater world. But what is so terrible about solo diving? If You are generally afraid to dive solo, then don't; but please don't pontificate to the rest of us. After all, we are entitled to hold opinions too.

:)

I have a dive team that I dive with almost weekly, most of our dives are training dives.

The thought of just meeting someone who I know nothing about and then trusting them with my life is not appealing. When I meet new buddies we do shake down dives, go over each other gears, dry land stuff, etc. For me charter dives are what I train for, to just be paired up with a random person is not interesting at all for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom