Solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so guess I'll have to go at least one more year just to keep her happy.

If you want to keep her really happy, have a fat insurance policy that pays in the event of an accident that includes scuba diving! You can only cheat death so many times you know. :eyebrow:

You can only cheat death so many times you know. :eyebrow:
I'm resisting the temptation to bring out the flame thower because I understand that there are divers who sincerely believe that solo diving = Russian Roulette, not because there is any evidence to support that it does, but because that's what they've been told or taught by people who also don't know.Let me offer the only story I've heard, that makes sense, on how we got the buddy system:When the YMCA decided to teach SCUBA, and they were the first to do so, their only "open water" experience was with their ocean-swimming program. Over time the "Y" validated the need to have a buddy when swimming in the ocean (waves, current, exhaustion, etc). So, when they put the first SCUBA program together they did what any of us would have done: they cut & paste from their existing ocean-swimming program, and the SCUBA-buddy system was born. Keep in mind: At the time there was no data on SCUBA diving, much less on whether or not the buddy system made sense.Let me say that there is no data that demonstrates that if you solo dive you will absolutely die, or that you will absolutely live, for that matter. I added it up the other day and I've got over 500 solo hours, so if I'm going to absolutely die doing this stuff it sure is taking its sweet time.We need to be careful when we say things in these threads, especially about "death," because they do end up getting back to our loved ones, and often end up causing them great concern. I'm sure the quote above was made in jest, but new divers see it and the solo = death myth just gets a little bigger.

"taught by people who also don't know" sums it up nicely. The lack of any statistical data or evidence demonstrating that solo diving is more dangerous than diving in packs or pairs or triads does not inhibit the all-knowing elect from pontificating. Reminds me of an old Blues song: "Your brain is on vacation so your mouth working overtime".

I'm resisting the temptation to bring out the flame thower because I understand that there are divers who sincerely believe that solo diving = Russian Roulette, not because there is any evidence to support that it does, but because that's what they've been told or taught by people who also don't know.Let me offer the only story I've heard, that makes sense, on how we got the buddy system:When the YMCA decided to teach SCUBA, and they were the first to do so, their only "open water" experience was with their ocean-swimming program. Over time the "Y" validated the need to have a buddy when swimming in the ocean (waves, current, exhaustion, etc). So, when they put the first SCUBA program together they did what any of us would have done: they cut & paste from their existing ocean-swimming program, and the SCUBA-buddy system was born. Keep in mind: At the time there was no data on SCUBA diving, much less on whether or not the buddy system made sense.Let me say that there is no data that demonstrates that if you solo dive you will absolutely die, or that you will absolutely live, for that matter. I added it up the other day and I've got over 500 solo hours, so if I'm going to absolutely die doing this stuff it sure is taking its sweet time.We need to be careful when we say things in these threads, especially about "death," because they do end up getting back to our loved ones, and often end up causing them great concern. I'm sure the quote above was made in jest, but new divers see it and the solo = death myth just gets a little bigger.

Let me first say that, having met BDSC, I believe his comments were meant in jest ... I think he dives solo from time to time.

As for the YMCA program, that's generally true, although they were not the first scuba program ... that honor goes to LA County. The YMCA program was tailored after what was offered there.

Buddy diving was created at a time when cylinders were small, and SPG's weren't invented yet. People took many risks that would be considered significant by today's standards ... which is why their training was generally demanding, and those who couldn't make the grade were not certified. That business model has changed significantly over the years, and in many respects as it changed reliance on the buddy system became more and more necessary.

By today's training standards, people coming out of the entry-level classes are in no way prepared to solo dive ... hell, most of 'em aren't even prepared to dive with a buddy, which is why you see so much reliance on dive guides in vacation destinations ... and also why the second most significant reason most people take AOW is because it's "five more dives with an instructor". Personally I think if you feel the need to dive with an instructor after OW class, you shouldn't have been granted your C-card in the first place, because you failed to meet the objectives of the class. But that's another topic that's already been flogged to death on ScubaBoard.

At any rate, the buddy system works well ... but only if both divers have been trained to use it properly. Otherwise, as many of us know, diving with a buddy can be more of a liability than an asset. As it's used today, it often engenders a sense of reliance and creates a whole class of dependent divers ... something that, even in the most benign conditions should be avoided.

Solo diving boils down to a matter of choice ... it is no more or less dangerous than buddy diving ... it simply introduces a different set of risks. All diving involves risk mitigation ... understanding what the potential risks are and preparing for your dive accordingly. Some people who post about solo diving on ScubaBoard worry me ... because reading their posts clearly indicates that they're in no way prepared to deal with the risks involved. Unfortunately, much the same can be said about buddy diving. And diving in a pack introduces yet additional risks ... because nobody really has a buddy, and often the entire group is depending on a dive professional to "keep them safe". We see posts about bad experiences with dive guides all the time here. Why are those people depending on a dive guide? And what will they do if for some reason the dive guide is occupied helping another diver ... or they get separated from the group?

There shouldn't be any arguments about how "safe" it is to dive solo ... or with a buddy ... or in a group. The discussion should center around what the potential risks are, and what you should do to prepare for dealing with them if they should occur.

"Safe" isn't a matter of how you choose to dive ... it's a matter of how well you prepare for your dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The argument is my thinking of how to overcome the being scared of being alone in the water.

I have a school principal that wants to dive with me, I say sure, but you will be on your own, I will teach you a few things. He says you wont dive with me, No I dive my own dive and you will also.

Now I explained last night to get private instruction, get certified and then do shallow dives out front. spearfishing is a great way for solo starters, and this is in 12' to 30'. learn how to deal with current, kelp, and be working under water with putting on stringer and reloading gun.

There are many ways to learn solo, this just is easy as he just walks out his front door to do so.

W ripley I understand what you imply and so do many. yet team diving is for many different divers who feel it would be nice to be around others while diving in hope that they might be of some help.

W ripley I understand what you imply and so do many. yet team diving is for many different divers who feel it would be nice to be around others while diving in hope that they might be of some help.

VooDooGasMan, I completely agree with you: Everyone should dive the way they are comfortable. That includes all aspects of diving including gear, buddies, caves, wrecks, nitrox, trimix, drysuits, wetsuits, OC, CC, etc. FWIW, all of my dives are not solo.

The point is that no one should be preaching on these forums that there is only one way to do anything in diving, unless they can offer documented, supporting evidence. It seems that each year we see these re-occurring myths popping back up. Now we have certifying agencies certifying solo divers, and we still hear the BS.

Each of us has the responsibility of advancing this sport, which means we have to object when something is being bantered around that isn't correct. Nothing wrong with offering your opinion, it's just that when the opinion is presented as fact.

VooDoo & ripley, Amen to all of that. I've posted my personal solo routine often on SB. It's tiring to see the same old opinions resurface. My situation regarding possible buddies, their schedules (most works full time--I'm retired), bad weekend weather (why not go Monday???), my location (gas costs-in Canada--, meeting arrangements) dictates that if I want to buddy dive always I may do 10 dives a year. Mike Nelson solo dived. My older brother did in the '60s to hunt clams. The guy who plows our driveway here in NS has solo dived for 30 years for scallops and he's not even certified (probably a better diver than me).

Well the principal signed up for a SSI class, learning in drysuit, A three week course, 6 pool times and 6 class times. He complained that in seattle It is a weekend class, It took awhile to explain, they will teach you how to dive correctly, In a O/W class and be ready for diving with out a ? Then you take an advanced, then a solo. But You will move up to deeper dives when you want, and you will be solo for spearing and will have some experience before class.

He did ask Why I never said a word really at the lds, I said I will not confuse you over how they will teach you, after class you will make your own decisions on your diving, at your speed, at your confidence, and then you will be a awesome diver and a solo diver, and told him exactly what TMHeimer said in post above.

So solo is what you want, not what you have to be, and I say he will be a great solo diver if he Study's a bit and moves into it when he is ready. So well see he starts class tuesday.

I have learnt that scuba divers will only agree on one thing. Diving is fun, the rest will be a debated/argued for decades to come.

Yeah, some people ain't up to task!
The plan is this- go down swim around and come back up before you run out of air....
It screws their heads up too much!!!! They want to hold hands, they looking they are underwater cyclists, who love breaking off samples of coral to take home....
So they get jealous like and start tellin' other people what to do with them there lives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom