Solo- sometimes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how can you know your limits if you don't challenge with them?
ciao

I solo dive from time to time. (Yes, I realize it's supposed to be a no-no) No matter what circumstances, I still get the creeps!

I'll share this funny one with you. I was assisting my Instructor Trainer with some AOWD students doing thier navigation dives. I sent a pair off to do 40 fin kicks on thier 90's and as they vanished from sight, I got the creeps again. There I was, all alone. Coupled with the thoughts, "Oh Crap, what if they don't come back back to me? while nervously watching the time on my computer. thinking "Crap! Did I just see a long dark shadow swimming near me?" (As dumb luck would have it, I watched JAWS the night before. (for the billionth time) Brilliant, huh?) Of course, they returned, a little sooner than I expected (I'm really wondering if they actually DID 40 fin kicks) and I was relieved! (doesn't help that I'm being "evaluated" too)

When bug hunting, or spear fishing, I'm essentially "solo", my buddy will be stalking game far enough away where I don't always have a visual on him or her (depending who I am diving with) not to mention, I'm not really watching my buddym I'm more or less stalking game too. Since I'd rather dive than NOT dive, I'll solo when a buddy is not available (Don't even TRY that in Laguna Beach when the life guards are around, fines are HEFTY)
as I really don't want to sit around "thinking about diving".

-Dennis

GQMedic once bubbled...
I solo dive from time to time. (Yes, I realize it's supposed to be a no-no) No matter what circumstances, I still get the creeps!

I'll share this funny one with you. I was assisting my Instructor Trainer with some AOWD students doing thier navigation dives. I sent a pair off to do 40 fin kicks on thier 90's and as they vanished from sight, I got the creeps again. There I was, all alone. Coupled with the thoughts, "Oh Crap, what if they don't come back back to me? while nervously watching the time on my computer. thinking "Crap! Did I just see a long dark shadow swimming near me?" (As dumb luck would have it, I watched JAWS the night before. (for the billionth time) Brilliant, huh?) Of course, they returned, a little sooner than I expected (I'm really wondering if they actually DID 40 fin kicks) and I was relieved! (doesn't help that I'm being "evaluated" too)

When bug hunting, or spear fishing, I'm essentially "solo", my buddy will be stalking game far enough away where I don't always have a visual on him or her (depending who I am diving with) not to mention, I'm not really watching my buddym I'm more or less stalking game too. Since I'd rather dive than NOT dive, I'll solo when a buddy is not available (Don't even TRY that in Laguna Beach when the life guards are around, fines are HEFTY)
as I really don't want to sit around "thinking about diving".

-Dennis

'as I really don't want to sit around "thinking about diving".
Amen to that.

Different trains of thought on that issue. If you dive in the SC Cooper River hunting for shark's teeth, you'll be told off the bat that the buddy system is hopeless down there. If you want to snag some prize 'catches' in less than 2 ft. viz and rapid currents, you'd better bid your buddy a fond adieu for the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom