Solomons - where to go/what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi mate.

Sorry to hijack your thread. I am wondering how the Taka liveaboard went ? I have been diving in the Solomons before and we island hopped. It was amazing and we saw plenty of pelagics but thinking the liveaboard might be the way to go this time.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Andy

I island hopped the Solomons because the Biliki liveaboard broke down right before we left port (which has never happened before or since). My local dive shop & many of my buddies have done the Biliki a number of times & loved it. You may want to take a look at them as well.

I was literally just reading that liveaboard. What's your thoughts of liveaboard v island hopping? The hard part is trying to compare the itineraries for me. Thanks for the reply!

I was literally just reading that liveaboard. What's your thoughts of liveaboard v island hopping? The hard part is trying to compare the itineraries for me. Thanks for the reply!

I only island-hopped so I can't compare this particular location, but as a general rule...since you already island-hopped there, why not do the liveaboard? You'll go to places away from land that you wouldn't otherwise see. I loved island hopping there & the Solomons are in my top 3 worldwide dive locations...but did you see some of those photos on the Biliki site? I've seen similar ones from dive buddies who were on that boat other trips. Just amazing!

Side note: I've found it helpful when you're replying to someone in particular to add in their name with an "@" or hit reply to their specific message so they get a notification that someone is talking directly to them. Otherwise, messages can get lost in a longer thread.

Hi guys,
How does the diving in the SI compare to RA ?

RA seems to stand for the Republic of Armenia according to the dictionary, but since that's not a big dive destination I'm assuming you mean Raja Ampat? :wink:I haven't been to Indonesia yet, but it's a good question.

From my understanding, Raja Ampat definitely also has the biodiversity which the Solomon Islands is known for. However, when I had done some research before, the outer Solomon Islands had seemed less well known, with fewer divers & been more remote. On Munda in the Solomons, they are also finding new WWII wrecks every year which is exciting so you can dive something very few people in the world have seen.

It'll be interesting to hear from someone who has been to both locations.

Uepi is comparable to some RA sites - hope you didnt miss Uepi

RA seems to stand for the Republic of Armenia according to the dictionary, but since that's not a big dive destination I'm assuming you mean Raja Ampat? :wink:I haven't been to Indonesia yet, but it's a good question.

From my understanding, Raja Ampat definitely also has the biodiversity which the Solomon Islands is known for. However, when I had done some research before, the outer Solomon Islands had seemed less well known, with fewer divers & been more remote. On Munda in the Solomons, they are also finding new WWII wrecks every year which is exciting so you can dive something very few people in the world have seen.

It'll be interesting to hear from someone who has been to both locations.

hi were traveling too solomons in august what did you use for wet suit - i have a 7mm 2 piece and was thinking of just taking the top half or just a 5mm one piece?

hi were traveling too solomons in august what did you use for wet suit - i have a 7mm 2 piece and was thinking of just taking the top half or just a 5mm one piece?

I was there in August. Water temperature year round is normally 82F/27.7C - 85F/29.4C. It can run a little warmer or colder, but that's unusual.

I'm all about the layers & choices. I get cold easily so I brought my 3mm, 5mm, a vest & a hooded vest (+ dive skins for sun protection). I didn't use the hooded vest. I was doing a lot of diving & was there Aug. 10 - 28. I believe I started in my skin + 3mm, then added my vest. Then, switched to my skin + 5mm towards the end. (My 5mm is a bit worn & I had been doing so much diving.)

Most other divers were in a 3mm though the ones I met hadn't been there that long.

It really depends upon how you handle cold, but I would think a 7mm would be too warm. (I usually use my 7mm + hooded vest for when I occasionally dive cold waters such as 43F/6.1C during May in the NE US.)

Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom