Some advice, please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UNDR H2O

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking at planning a trip for next year. This may be my only opportunity for a dive trip like this.

Would you plan a 7 day trip to Bonaire, or a couple days at each of the ABC islands?

Just one island. Getting to the airport, through that hassle onto the plane, flight time, getting bags, taxi or shuttle to hotel, check in, check out, get papers signed & learn how things are done with the new dive op...that stuff takes time.

And then, you may feel like you just tasted a sampler bite of the islands. The only model for frequent island hopping I know that works decently is a cruise ship, and there you may be treated like a newbie and not taken to the better sites.

If this trip is a rare thing for you, I'd want to cram in as many dives as I could. Especially if I dove solo, that would mean Bonaire. Your mileage may vary.

Anything you want to do on this trip besides dive?

Richard.

Nope just dive! Due to my flights, I'll hit all 3 islands. Just wanted to see if it would be worth trying to dive all 3.

taking your own gear? you will spend more time drying it than diving it.

does Aruba have any decent dive sites or dive operations?

i would also change my flights....

I'd personally dive Curacao also if you have the opportunity. I think it's better than Bonaire - certainly more interesting diving.
IDK anything about Aruba.

There are 2 AA flights a day from Miami. If you are on the late flight--stay on Curacao for a few days. If on the early flight--go on to Bonaire at 3:30 or 5pm via DiviDivi Air. I understand the only worthwhile Aruba diving is on a wreck or 2.

I would stay on either Bonaire or Curacao for the entire week. Diving similar and no wasted days travelling or blowing off gas.

I've been told that Curacao has a few more fish than Bonaire (though with the tons I see on Bonaire ...). I go to Bonaire because it's way easier to get around - smaller island, only one main road, dive sites closer together, etc. Aruba is quite a bit more expensive and I'm not sure about the diving as I'm not interested in wrecks.

Back
Top Bottom