Some issues I've noticed after some heavy local diving (Some suggestions/venting)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, come to think of it, excessive silt and smoke bear some resemblance. The only difference being, that they don't have to breathe your silt like you do their smoke..............

The quarry..i mean lake, I dive in on the weekends is typically very crowded. I have found most divers very friendly and helpful. I smoked for 10 years and remember being infuriated about all the impediments on "smokers rights". I quit 6 years ago and now understand and appriciate and stand on the "Other Side" I have also developed moderate asthma. Last weekend a fellow diver lite up right next to us and it really affected my breathing. Its not a matter of smoking outside, it is a matter of consideration of your fellow divers and a little smokers etiquett. (spelling issues...sorry) Either way people are going to do what they want to do no matter what sometimes. What kind of diver are you?

I didn't know this would generate such a response!

Thanks for the opinions - there's not much more I can say because the non-smokers hit it all...

James

What I want to know is... You say they surfaced to smoke?

Like, they have a pack of smokes and a zippo in a ziplock and every few minutes they'd surface, inflate their BCs, to just bob and puff?

Which is more dangerous, smoking and diving or the bounce diving for butts?

As a former smoker and diver myself (quit 27 years ago), I want to weigh in on this one. When I dove, I did not take my cigarettes with me. I had no desire to subject other divers to my smoke and if I couldn't survive two hours without one, I shouldn't be diving.

These days smokers have certainly been restricted far more than I was back then. Although I prefer smokers do so in their own environment, I recognize they have a right to smoke outdoors in areas that are not restricted.

However, a right to smoke does not involve a right to subject others to second hand smoke. I really get irritated when a smoker will walk over next to me and light up when there are plenty of areas away from other people or divers where they could do so without offending others. If i walk over to them, that is a completely different story.

My housemate smokes, but she does so on my front deck. She would never consider smoking in the house and subjecting me to it. She even tries to put out her cigarette if I walk onto my deck... however, I tell her that I am electing to subject myself to the smoke so we can talk and she should continue smoking.

Yes, smokers have a right to smoke.. but not a right to subject others to their second-hand smoke. I know smokers are "under seige" these days and I have some sympathy for that. However, courtesy towards others should still be a strong consideration.

Dr. Bill

My wife is severely allergic to cigarette smoke as well. She usually doesn't say anything if someone lights up, but will walk away so she doesn't have to breathe it. On a recent trip we had one person on the boat who was a smoker. On our surface interval, he lit up as soon as he got his hood off. My wife walked to the other side of the boat, at which point he said "what, do I have bad breath or something?". I told him she was allergic to cigarettes. He proceeded to follow her around the boat with a cigarette in his hand. He thought it was funny, till I asked him to cut it out before I decided it would be perfectly within my "rights" to heave him overboard. By the time we reached the second dive site, she was so stuffed up she couldn't dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

pasley once bubbled...
...We have to breathe, you don't have to smoke. {snip} I agree you have a right to smoke, or to listen to any music you like, at any volume you like. But that right ends where my nose or ears start.
...do you think we could make a sign, add it to a dive flag? Pithy,precise, poignant - well stated. I too have lost a family member to the weed, what a silly, tragic way to end a life...

Admittedly, us smokers, can be a bunch of pains. When I do smoke outside, I try to make sure I'm downwind of everyone around. If it still is a bother to someone, if they ask in a courteous manner I will put it out or leave the area so as not to bother them.

The only times I can remember not being courteous was when an instructor in a divemaster classrom lecture told us if ANY student ever saw us smoking anywhere or anytime,whether it was concerning scuba or not, he would automatically fail us. Being the pain that I am, I lit one in the class room, took a couple of drags before telling him that I quit. The other, was when a couple of people told me in no uncertain terms that if I didn't put out my cigarette they'd put it out for me. I did put it out and lit a cigar and told them if I was going to take an a_ _ kicking that I may as well make it worth while.

While some of us smokers are pains some of us try not to be, be courteous about letting us know it is bother you. You might even get an apology as we're snuffing them out.

The fact that smokers feel any sense of indignation when non-smokers object to the pollution, litter, and severe health risks posed by their vile habit is laughable.

Their complete lack of consideration and disdain for others has finally resulted in non-smokers seeking legal protection and forcing them out of every public space possible. I routinely encourage my representatives in Congress to pursue anti-smoking measures.

A total ban can't happen fast enough...

Back
Top Bottom