Some nice big North Carolina Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flounderer

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd thought I'd share some of the lobsters we catch off the coast here. The big guys are found about 35 miles out and farther so it is a long haul but well worth it. We don't use snares or tickle sticks we go mono a' mono with these guys.

Nice big bugs, Congrats!!

flounderer:
I'd thought I'd share some of the lobsters we catch off the coast here. The big guys are found about 35 miles out and farther so it is a long haul but well worth it. We don't use snares or tickle sticks we go mono a' mono with these guys.

My gear's packed...when do we leave?

flyinghuntster:
What was the Water Temp and Vis like?
Just got back from the lobster ledge and while not a fruitful trip it was still really nice. It seems it's spawning season in this neck of the woods and a lot of them have eggs. Anyways, the water temp was 77 on the bottom, 85 on the surface and the vis was about 50 ft. Did see a lot of bugs but most were aware of my intentions. Lots of lionfish some big enough to think about eating :)

Pat

flounderer:
Just got back from the lobster ledge and while not a fruitful trip it was still really nice. It seems it's spawning season in this neck of the woods and a lot of them have eggs. Anyways, the water temp was 77 on the bottom, 85 on the surface and the vis was about 50 ft. Did see a lot of bugs but most were aware of my intentions. Lots of lionfish some big enough to think about eating :)

Pat

Sound like a trip I did with olympus last month.. There were tons of lobster but it was about 5 to 1 eggs to no eggs.. I got skunked myself.. I Grabbed six lobsters all over 10lbs (the biggest was probably about 15) everyone had eggs... But I had alot of fun... and didn't get any wounds.... cant say that for all the divers... There was also a huge lionfish wight where we had the anchor hooded in.. probably about 14-16 inches long (hd itnear my arm so its a good estimate)..

Other divers did get lobsters.. The boat probably came up with about 40ish

On the initaal descent I was the first down the line at the ledge (130 fsw max depth) an there were lobster everywhere in open site.. they didn;t start hiding til the rest of the divers got down..

I've heard that once spiny lobsters get as big as these, they don't taste nearly as good. Any truth to that?

padiscubapro:
Sound like a trip I did with olympus last month.. There were tons of lobster but it was about 5 to 1 eggs to no eggs.. I got skunked myself.. I Grabbed six lobsters all over 10lbs (the biggest was probably about 15) everyone had eggs... But I had alot of fun... and didn't get any wounds.... cant say that for all the divers... There was also a huge lionfish wight where we had the anchor hooded in.. probably about 14-16 inches long (hd itnear my arm so its a good estimate)..

Other divers did get lobsters.. The boat probably came up with about 40ish

On the initaal descent I was the first down the line at the ledge (130 fsw max depth) an there were lobster everywhere in open site.. they didn;t start hiding til the rest of the divers got down..

I loved diving NC but I didn't care much for Olympus -- too much of a cattle boat mentality -- but I loved the historic wrecks and the sand tigers. Got lots of shark teeth but no lobsters on the trip I took.

flounderer:

That's fantastic -- what's the depth you're finding these guys?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom