Sore Fingertips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My fingertips are usually sore after I dive. If I squeeze my thumb and middle finger together it feels sore. It's not a big issue but I'm curious as to why. I used to think this was because of cold water but on the way home from a trip yesterday I noticed it again and the water temps from yesterday's dive were very warm. Is this just sensitivity to the water or something? My fingers feel fine today. COuld it be poor circulation? Anyone experience anything similar?

After yesterday's dives, I was thinking about this again. Today my fingers are fine, but yesterday, they were a little sore. Water temps were around 10 degrees C.

Do your fingers get cold during the dive? When you are done diving and things warm up, do they feel painfully tingly? If so probably not enough protection - try thicker gloves.

Dunno about type II DCS though, its definitely something to consider.

Silly question are you using bolt snaps allot on your dives? I find after a dive where I am clipping and unclipping my gear my fingers are sore for a day or two.

Yesterday, I wore 7mm 3 fingered gloves. When I first posted this thread I was diving in water that was 23 degrees so I don't think it's the cold.

I get this all the time when I dive. I don't think it's as serious as DCS or at least I hope its not. That would mean I'm bent on pretty much every dive. It's not preventing me form doing anything so I don't consider it a big problem. I'm more curious than concerned.

Lukiedukie:
Silly question are you using bolt snaps allot on your dives? I find after a dive where I am clipping and unclipping my gear my fingers are sore for a day or two.

Nope. No bold straps.

It's not obvious what this is. I ran through some ideas in my head: One, contact with an irritant -- something in the water that stings or to which you are or have become sensitive. Two, vasospasm as a result of cold water. This would usually present as painful hands at the end of the dive, and resolve fairly shortly. Three, wrist compression as a result of tight seals (are you diving dry?), but that would tend to be more of a general ache or numbness/tingling of the fingers, rather than soreness with pressure. And finally, some type of trauma related to carrying or manipulating your gear.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

It's not obvious what this is. I ran through some ideas in my head: One, contact with an irritant -- something in the water that stings or to which you are or have become sensitive.
There isnt' anything that I know of to cause this.

Two, vasospasm as a result of cold water. This would usually present as painful hands at the end of the dive, and resolve fairly shortly.
This is the most likely but as I said before, I've experienced it in warm water too. Could it be pressure related I wonder?

Three, wrist compression as a result of tight seals (are you diving dry?), but that would tend to be more of a general ache or numbness/tingling of the fingers, rather than soreness with pressure.
I'm diving dry but this happens when I dive wet too.

And finally, some type of trauma related to carrying or manipulating your gear.
Nope, don't think it's that.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
You've been very helpful Lynne. Thank you.

I wonder if I should just chalk this up to by body's weirdness and forget about it. Like I said before, it's not bothering me.

Greg, I think that I know what you're talking about and this happens to me too. I notice it most when I push my fingernail inwards. I usually dive in cold water in a drysuit with drygloves. The rational side of me thinks it is becuase I was manipulating bolt snaps, and other things underwater. The paranoid side of me think that it is really tiny bubbles being trapped in the capillary beds under my finger nails.

Let's keep track of this and see if we can correlate some casual factors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom