Sore Fingertips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
I notice it most when I push my fingernail inwards.

That hits the nail on the head. I usually only notice it when I feel for it like this or when I do something with my fingers that requires dexterity.

Now I don't feel so alone. Thanks dude. :wink:

I don't have a lot of strength in my fingers and the gripping and pulling involved when donning a wetsuit always leaves my fingers sore.
Ber :lilbunny:

Hello jiveturkey:

Something like that type of pain in that location is not indicative of DCS. In addition, DCS is seldom that repeatable.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Ber Rabbit:
I don't have a lot of strength in my fingers and the gripping and pulling involved when donning a wetsuit always leaves my fingers sore.
Ber :lilbunny:

Bingo! I have had that too!

Dr Deco:
Hello jiveturkey:

Something like that type of pain in that location is not indicative of DCS. In addition, DCS is seldom that repeatable.

Dr Deco :doctor:
This is very good to know. Thanks.

No medical training here, but I do have an idea. For me, the weight of my tank makes the harness tight on my shoulders and I think pinches a nerve a bit where sometimes my fingers feel tingly or hurt. I probably need to loosen the shoulder straps, but I can't stand the tank to hit my butt. :D

You know, I actually stumbled across this thread from google while searching for "sore fingertips" and not even relating it to diving. When I saw scubaboard show up in the search results, I just remembered that I did two dives yesterday. Must be the cause of my problem!!!

I don't really think it's any form of DCS. I was doing kelp maintenance with SMBK yesterday, which is in super shallow waters (no more than 30 feet). I would probably blame this condition on a mix of cold hands and manipulating a wetsuit. I wear 1.5mm gloves in SoCal (very cold, but I enjoy the dexterity). So my hands get nice and frozen every dive. Pulling on a wetsuit with cold hands probably does some kind of minor tissue damage or something. I'm no doctor, but this is what I think.

I notice it most when I push my fingernail inwards.

Same. I keep my fingernails trimmed close, tight gloves can put pressure on the nail beds when you bend your fingers. But I really like the paranoid explanation better...

(If I let my nails get too long they press against my cold water gloves and the force is transmitted to the nail beds.)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom