Sound ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Help me. i don't know what sound you are talking about. At what time-marks does it occur?
Where were you in the Bahamas?

Help me. i don't know what sound you are talking about. At what time-marks does it occur?
Where were you in the Bahamas?
Uhm... you will notice that the video has been cut into several short segments, nine of them to be precise. Each segment contains one sample of the sound. It's a 3-tone "whistle" with ascending pitch. The first one at 0:01 is kinda faint, but the remaining ones (second one at 0:05, third at 0:10) are quite strong to hear.

We were diving with Stuart Cove out of New Providence (Nassau). This particular dive was on Mike's Reef, which borders the Sea Viking wreck (which we have visited as well).

Sorry, I can't pick out the sound you are talking about. You know what you are listening for; I don't. I've spent many years working in underwater acoustics and with the Navy, and I really did want to help. I guess you had to be there....

Sorry, I can't pick out the sound you are talking about. You know what you are listening for; I don't. I've spent many years working in underwater acoustics and with the Navy, and I really did want to help. I guess you had to be there....
Even with my very senior ears, I can hear it clearly. It is as described. High pitched. If you don't hear it, I'm guessing something could be amiss with the sound portion of your computer.
Can you hear the videographer's bubbles?

Was there a dive boat anchored nearby? Were you under it? Some boats sonar/depth sounders can be heard underwater, although I have never heard one like that.

Even with my very senior ears, I can hear it clearly. It is as described. High pitched. If you don't hear it, I'm guessing something could be amiss with the sound portion of your computer.
Can you hear the videographer's bubbles?
or they recognize it as a top secret naval system that is now known to us all and the NSA, CIA, FBI, NCIS, ETC, ETC are all tracking your every move. . .

Could it be a high frequency that is inside the camera housing?

What effect does water have on sound? (I feel like i should already have the answer to this...)

You mention, DFX, that the video is chopped up, at what interval did you hear the sound?

Was there a dive boat anchored nearby? Were you under it? Some boats sonar/depth sounders can be heard underwater, although I have never heard one like that.
There was one other boat when we arrived, but it left during our dive and the sound continued. Our own dive boat was the same that we had the rest of the week.

Could it be a high frequency that is inside the camera housing?
Definitely not my own and for most of the time, there was nobody else in direct vicinity.

What effect does water have on sound? (I feel like i should already have the answer to this...)
I know that sound travels far, but I've never heard relatively quiet sounds like computer or camera beeps, or squeaky regs, over a distance of a more than few dozen feet or so, and normally only in direct vicinity. This sound seemed to be everywhere.

You mention, DFX, that the video is chopped up, at what interval did you hear the sound?
Going through the original video again, it appears at the following timestamps:
0:21
1:17
2:13
3:09
3:41
4:12
4:44
5:16
5:48
6:19

Dont see any particular pattern, the "pings" begin to close in on each other as time goes on.[-] but the last few are all over the place, could be from using whole seconds vs .0001 etc.[/-] so reran some numbers... the pings begin far apart (ratio of ~1.73) and end with only a ratio of ~1.089.

Interesting fact I just learned, there is a navy underwater test unit in the Bahamas. Home - Naval Undersea Warfare Center Newport

that is seeming like a possibility.

Last edited:
Going through the original video again, it appears at the following timestamps:
0:21
1:17
2:13
3:09
3:41
4:12
4:44
5:16
5:48
6:19

Looking at this there are exactly 56 seconds between each of sounds 1 to 4 so they plot linearly - with a change then to exactly 32 seconds between sounds from that point onwards - again plotting linearly, so there is precise timing, not a random effect. The sound also appears electronically produced to me, rather than mechanical. The timing will rule out regulator noise - no-ones breathing timing is that precise.

This re-enforces my feeling that it is like some sort of watch or dive computer alarm, which when not acknowledged or cancelled changed it repetition rate from once a minute to once every 30 seconds. OK 56 seconds and 32 are not quite once a minute and once very 30 seconds but I think with the underwater effects that is what you are hearing.

In the past I have heard sounds from dive computers and wondered whose it was before realising it was actually my own, because sound does funny things underwater. The sound you are hearing is fairly high frequency, and high frequency attenuates quickly underwater (and in air), which is why whales and other marine mammals use a very low ultra sonic signals or clicks, they travel further, so I think the source of the sound was probably not very far away from you when you were recording it.

I have done a fair bit of sound analysis of the calls of birds, bats, crickets and cicadas (as an ecologist - don't ask!) and what could tell you more about the source would be running the sound through a spectrographic analysis in a software package such as Batsound from Pettersen Elektronik or Raven or Raven-Lite from Cornell University - these would allow you to see if each 'signal' was identical or whether there was some variance, other than the time intervals.

I've got both packages on my laptop so if there is some way to get the original files to me I will happily have a look.

Phil.

Back
Top Bottom