Sound off!! Whats your favorite BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you a new diver?

I was fortunate enough to have a dive instructor who allowed me to learn to dive using a BP and wing. You may want to consider this set up, as most everyone who has switched to using it has been very happy. I think your instructor should have some understanding of the rig, as it can be a bit different to doff and don, and release weights if you use a weight belt, etc.. I received lots of weird looks from the rest of my class, but after a few dives, I think the class became envious :D

Also it seems that more and more BC manufacturers are in a way introducing BC's that mimmick the BP/wing. Most of the recommended BC's here for instance are back inflate style.

I purchased my BP from Gary (G.U.T.S.) on Ebay (not sure if he still sells there). FredT here makes the only other BP that I would buy, as his will adapt to just about any wing, STA, etc.. You can then purchase your wing from say Halcyon, and web material and assorted hardware for making up your harness from several sources. Making up your harness is easy, but a bit time consuming your first time. There are instructions on making your harness posted here and on the net.

If you don't want to put your BC together yourself, you could just pay $500 or so and purchase an entire BP/Wing harness assembly made by Halcyon.

Many dive a BP/wing with a regular weight belt. You can also purchase an integrated weight system. I use the DUI weight harness. It fits perfectly under my BP/Wing harness. So you have quite a few options on the weight style you want to use.

Oceanic Probe QLR.
Dives and feels like a comfy chair...

Zeagle tech...it's awesome and the best BC i've had...stands up to all the abuse I put it through..

Made the changeover to bp/w late last year and I'm not looking back.

Was rolling the Ranger and, while I absolutely loved it, and found it immensely comfortable, it was always floating off of me in just the wrong ways. Without the crotch strap... harness... thing the shoulder straps always wound up around my ears.

Seaquest Pro QD...

Another BP/wing fan. I've tried a few BCDs and a few different BP/W combos. I currently own:

- TransPac II with Oxycheq #30 wing
- TransPlate harness with DR aluminum #2 BP & DSS #30 wing
- DR SS BP with standard harness & Oxycheq #45 wing
- DSS BP with #5 plate weights, standard harness & Oxycheq #45 wing
- FredT #9 BP with DeepOutdoors #40 wing
- Koplin SS plate with Oxycheq #70 wing

Although I like them all, my favorite is a Deep Sea Supply backplate with Oxycheq standard #45 wing and single-piece harness.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'll stick with my OMS SS BP with the 45# bungied wing.

I'm as happy as a dog with two tails with this rig.

I have used most of the back inflation BCs, I now use a Zeagle Concept II Pro which I convert with an Escape bladder for the tropics. It is my choice over the others I have used.

Halcyon BP, Eclipse wing. Un-frickin-beatable.

Had a Pioneer wing, that was a tad less durable and actually developed a slow leak. (Our conditions are a tad rugged.) Eclipse doesn't dump as efficiently so I actually had to take on an extra 2 pounds of lead, but it has a zippered heavy outer shell like the DR Recwings and seems pretty much indestructible.

So I'm in love.

I really like my Zeagle Brigade, but really wouldn't mind trying out a BP/W setup.

I think I'd prefer not having the side pockets, and more flexibility to put the d-rings wherever I wanted.

I did cut off the roll down pocket which was kinda useless anyway. I mounted my shears there instead.

But these minor things aside, it's the most comfortable BC I've ever worn.

-B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom