south carysfort deep; sharks, rays and pics, 5/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course Lynn! The Elbow reef and the City of Washington are some of our favorite dives! We can do them the first day you're here if you want!

Awesome thanks...would love to see some rays!!! 18 days and counting down till we head down. What time are you usually there till as we might stop by on our way in? If not we will see you in 19 Days!!!!!!!!!

20 yrs and counting,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Maybe our paths will cross in a couple of weeks. Any special places you like to eat or have a drink?

I run up to Carysfort every week as long as it's not too choppy. It's a 45-55 minute run north depending on conditions, so this puts it out of reach of most boats running out if port largo or bayside.

The north end of the reef is close to the drop off. Gentle slope down to 50'ish thena drop to about 90' depending where you are.

Then we move to the south end of the reef where it's shallower but prettier. Good chance of seeing reef sharks around a tall coral pinnacle.

We were there when Chris was there yesterday, diving Carysfort deep. 16 Eagle Rays on one dive, all divers saw some Eagle Rays. Weather was lumpy.

Chris it is that far for you. Do you still dock at mm106?

How many times do I have to tell you guys to not let the word out about Carysfort. Really the diving sucks there and all the animals in the pictures posted above were photoshopped in.

But seriously - I love Carysfort - The Carysfort Light
Ben+Over+Under+3.jpg

And it seems like we are seeing lots of Eagle Rays around the upper Keys. Last weekend we had multiple fly-bys on Mo' of group of 7 Rays. I shot this with 60 mm lens.
Eagle+Ray1.jpg

not to worry kidsdream(nice overunder!), the price of fuel and time constraints, will limit the # of commercial operators and private boats going to carysfort. besides the best diving, in my view is not located off the mooring balls. additionally, the diving between the elbow and carysfort(watsons reef etc) is also terrific and barely visited. weather permitting, heading to south carysfort tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Oh, so you are heading up there tomorrow. If it was Monday morning I would try to hitch a ride as I am already committed to guiding a diver around on Spiegel double dip tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom