Southeast Florida & Key Largo lobster reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....It seems the change could be associated with a virus named PaV1 which is killing our favorite bugs. Some research indicates that the virus becomes more infectious or prevalent with warmer water temperatures; something that they believe could be related to rising sea temperatures.

Rising sea temps is entirely false. The PaV1 virus is only transmitted when spiny's are in close proximitry to transmit the virus thru the water. That's why in all the studies, an infected lobster is usually a solo lobster. When you catch alot of bugs, you know exactly what to look for. Good news is that its not harmful to humans.

Worse yet, they reported that it was the second time he was busted for the same offense!

It took some of us over a year to work on the new lobster legislation that was effective in June. For the first time ever, it's spells out felony and jail time for offenses. Even 1st timers can have a much bigger charge against them. There are several more cases pending that now have jail time possible because of the new law.

The law that was passed includes the following:

first violation is a second degree misdemeanor. If the violation involves 25 or more lobster, the violation is a first degree misdemeanor.

A second violation is a first degree misdemeanor, and the violator is subject to a suspension of all license privileges for a period not to exceed 90 days.

A third violation is a first degree misdemeanor with a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 6 months. The violator may be assessed a civil penalty of up to $2,500 and is subject to a suspension of all license privileges for a period not to exceed 6 months.

A third violation within one year after a second violation is a third degree felony with a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of one year. The violator must be assessed a civil penalty of $5,000 and all license privileges must be permanently revoked.

A fourth or subsequent violation is a third degree felony with a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of one year. The violator must be assessed a civil penalty of $5,000 and all license privileges must be permanently revoked.

Johnoly,

Thanks for your comments. You have probably done much more scientific research into PaV1 than Dr Behringer so your information is appreciated....I was just citing his research:

"Don Behringer, a marine ecologist at the University of Florida, has been studying the effects of the lethal PaV1 virus that has been killing juvenile lobsters and potentially hurting the commercial and recreational fisheries. Behringer, in fact, discovered the virus while sampling juvenile lobster populations in the Florida Keys in 1999."

Behringer’s research also looked at the effect of temperature on the infection.

Experiments found that lobsters held in the lab in high-temperature seawater and exposed to PaV1 developed active and more intense infections much more quickly than those held at lower temperatures. The finding could become important given rising temperatures in the global oceans.

“High temperature, even in small increments, often results in stress that can increase the susceptibility of organisms to infection and potentially alter the time course of infection,” Behringer said. “In future projects we’re going to test if water temperature may affect disease susceptibility and infection progress.”

Behringer was also recently funded by the National Science Foundation for a multi-year, $1.4 million grant to study the dynamics of the PaV1 virus throughout the Caribbean-wide range of the spiny lobster.

The findings will continue to provide fishermen and fisheries managers with a better understanding of how the deadly PaV1 disease spreads in spiny lobsters, which they then hope to use to implement management plans that reduce the impact of the disease."

About the law: The penalties you mention are right on target....hopefully this criminal never enters the ocean again.

absolutely magnificent day on the water offshore key largo this SATURDAY(10/18/2014). zero wind, gin clear water, we could actually see lobster antennae protruding from coral heads cruising the patch reefs. only took a few hours snorkeling to limit with two friends from OHIO(spiny lobster catching rookies!). reef tract about 2 miles inside the elbow and Watson reefs, water depth 6-12 FT, temp 82-83F. lobsters not great size(except for 3) but numerous,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

You caught these on the Gator Gill ?

You caught these on the Gator Gill ?

I believe they caught 1 or 2 on the gator gill(I had to google that as I had no clue what a gator gill was!). the vast majority were captured free diving. BTW they went out sunday off long key and caught 6 bugs with the gator gill,,

reefman
key largo

how do recognize a lobster infected with this PaV1 virus? what are the signs and symptoms?

I believe they caught 1 or 2 on the gator gill(I had to google that as I had no clue what a gator gill was!). the vast majority were captured free diving. BTW they went out sunday off long key and caught 6 bugs with the gator gill,,

reefman
key largo

Only reason I ask is because I saw a similar picture on a craigslist ad for the gator gill.

Gator Gill Lobster diving system for 2 Divers

00808_kXArhIDRQKy_600x450.jpg

his wife took that pic after the one I posted to send to the company that makes that contraption, it was their 1st time using the rig. gotta love the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reefman
key largo

to FLNativeGuy...............thanks for the info and the helpful links..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom