Southwest to begin International Flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I will take a nonstop flight of less than 3hrs in sardine class over a comfortable seat with connections. Going to Cabo, SWA doesn't make much sense at over 9hrs. Cancun on the other hand...

Checking flights in early November AUS to CUN rt, American is running $475+ and over 7hrs, United runs $700 and just under 7hrs. From my seat, SWA at $350 and 3hrs, looks like a bargain in both time and money.

Cutting travel time in half (or more) and removing a stop is definitely a compelling argument in favor of flying SWA. Time is valuable, as is one less chance for someone to lose or pilfer my checked baggage.

--

Usually I will take the 1st/Business option when the price is worth it (to me) in terms of baggage allowance, more comfortable wait during long layovers, and so on. Also if you often use FF miles, the 1/B option usually "pays" 150% of the miles which is nice.

Hi James,

Another big plus for a direct flight is that you go through customs/immigration in Austin instead of DFW or IAH. I don't know if SWA will follow Airtran's example in Cancun, but they went through customs/immigration at Terminal 2. Lot shorter lines than Terminal 3. The bag drag and ferry to Coz are not big faves of mine, but worth the hassle for a nonstop flight.

When Becky went back to Saudi a few years ago, she flew 1st class. Worth it on that long a flight.

Customs in AUS vs DFW or IAH would be a big plus, even with Global Entry & TSA pre-check I suspect.

SWA used to be the cheap alternative to full service airlines, but no more. Free bags, yes - but lots of limitations, and their fares aren't very competitive.

Yea, but they do know how to load a plane---& FAST.......

Airtran (Southwest has merged with) has been flying to Cancun for sometime. The last time I went to Cancun a few year back, I flew Airtran. Got upgraded to business class for the cost of getting 2 check bags on United.

The "SouthWest" effect is no longer valid, where when SouthWest comes into a new market/city, they usually drive down fares from other airlines from the increased competition. Today, Southwest is just as expensive as other airlines.

Continental, Airtrans, FunJet, AeroMexico, etc..., used to fly Houston to Cozumel & Cancun for $300 - $400, & much cheaper with vacation packages.
Today, since United took over Continental, their monopoly raised prices to $550.

But hopefully, Southwest will increase competition (hope other airlines come back also) & bring prices back to reasonable levels, which I think around $300 - $350 is reasonable....

Bag drag might be worth the trouble. Checking fares this morning $233 Chicago to Cancun on 9-6-14 for a nonstop flight on Southwest.

United with 1 stop to Coz $ 520!

Personally, I will take a nonstop flight of less than 3hrs in sardine class over a comfortable seat with connections. Going to Cabo, SWA doesn't make much sense at over 9hrs. Cancun on the other hand...

Checking flights in early November AUS to CUN rt, American is running $475+ and over 7hrs, United runs $700 and just under 7hrs. From my seat, SWA at $350 and 3hrs, looks like a bargain in both time and money.
---

Exactly. I will almost always without fail choose the non-stop option going anywhere along with the higher costs, I'm not retired and time is valuable, plus the entire airline travel experience has deteriorated so much that every moment saved from being in contact with the airlines is money well spent.

Bag drag might be worth the trouble. Checking fares this morning $233 Chicago to Cancun on 9-6-14 for a nonstop flight on Southwest.

United with 1 stop to Coz $ 520!
I don't think they'll allow you in the country with a one-way ticket. I can buy one it seems - from United but not SWA until November, but I doubt that I can use it.

Now if you can get RT for that, cool. SWA won't quote a fare from Lubbock until November, and even then I get various results, none of which work.

Back
Top Bottom