Southwest to begin International Flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "SouthWest" effect is no longer valid, where when SouthWest comes into a new market/city, they usually drive down fares from other airlines from the increased competition. Today, Southwest is just as expensive as other airlines.

Continental, Airtrans, FunJet, AeroMexico, etc..., used to fly Houston to Cozumel & Cancun for $300 - $400, & much cheaper with vacation packages.
Today, since United took over Continental, their monopoly raised prices to $550.

But hopefully, Southwest will increase competition (hope other airlines come back also) & bring prices back to reasonable levels, which I think around $300 - $350 is reasonable....

My take on the situation is that United/Continental and Delta (and perhaps American, too) have conceded budget Caribbean routes to Southwest and its former AirTran routes and no longer try to compete. Delta seems to concentrate on its business travelers these days. Delta's prices for nonstops from its hub here in Atlanta to Caribbean destinations are insane: over $700 for CZM and over $900 for BON.

Bag drag might be worth the trouble. Checking fares this morning $233 Chicago to Cancun on 9-6-14 for a nonstop flight on Southwest.

United with 1 stop to Coz $ 520!
:confused: I don't think they will let you enter on a tourist visa with a one-way ticket.
That was one way, but nonstop vs United and Americans stop in TX.
:silly: Illogical way to shop for a round-trip ticket, in my opinion - as you will want to return. Round-trip tickets from Chicago to Cancun and back, September 16-23...

SWA/Air Trans: $405.90

United: $411.40

True, the Air Trans flight is non-stop both ways, while the United is non-stop only on return, but your illustration about fares fails when you consider round-trip costs. Spirit will do it for as little as $344, but that's another story. And Air Trans only has one flight a day each way, so if it has problems - your trip becomes much more adventurous.

If you really want to go to Cozumel tho, American has round-trips for $524 those dates, as little as $472 some dates, so you won't save enough on your Cancun ticket to justify the bag drag, bus, and ferry. :no:

Hey Don:)

interesting that SW and Air Tran don't show up on you ITA app that you have me using??

Hey Don:)

interesting that SW and Air Tran don't show up on you ITA app that you have me using??
I know. :sad: They don't participate in a lot of aspects that most airlines do.

And I agree, non-stop is best - all other things being equal or favorable. We wanted to use SWA non-stop flights for our family trip jumping off from Las Vegas, but the fares were so much higher then - we drove from Lubbock to Abilene, then connected in DFW to stay on budget.

Back
Top Bottom