spadefish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudfish

Registered
Reaction score
There seems to be an abundance of spadefish near shore off of SC and NC. How are they for eatting? How do you prepare them? Are there any legal size limits in SC and NC?

I've read that they eat OK, but don't seem to freeze well.

Dunno about the game laws on them in those 2 states, you need to chck. In FL you can take them. I've never tried any myself, though I did see one once that was HUGE & tempted me. Almost shot him, but then I figured that the biggest of anything usually isn't that good to eat so left him.

I think their food quality is quite good, but they are quite a bit of work for the amount of fillets you get. It's no trick to hammer a mess of 'em with a pole spear, which some may find more efficient for getting them on the stringer quickly and going to the next one.

They are fine eating. I don't recall them being any more bony than many other fish. They are a blast to catch on light tackle. I don't recall any size or bag limits here in NC.

They're not bad, I just prefer other fish (grouper and flounder for me). Lots of people eat them up and down the coast, and there is usually an abundance of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom