Spare air legal problems ? ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe the should properly regulate the other aspects of fisheries and not worry what less than 1/10th of 1% do.Funny the countries that ban spearfishing on scuba are the ones with the most damaged fisheries and are the most likely to break international fisheries treaties.
"OMG lets arrest that spearfisherman,he's spearing on scuba near a longliner,a net boat and fishtrapper"

Maybe the should properly regulate the other aspects of fisheries and not worry what less than 1/10th of 1% do.Funny the countries that ban spearfishing on scuba are the ones with the most damaged fisheries and are the most likely to break international fisheries treaties.
"OMG lets arrest that spearfisherman,he's spearing on scuba near a longliner,a net boat and fishtrapper"

Well put, lol :cool2:

Hi Guys & Girls

I am new here and this is my first post, I will start it off by asking any member if they know if `` spare air ´´ emergency breather are illegal in any other country.

Here in Portugal they have made them illegal :shocked2: crazy law, and they justify it I believe on the fact that: due to the nature of a small breathing device being easy to conceal they `` MAY ´´ be used by spear fishers / snorkelers whilst hunting.....:shakehead:

I apreciate the fact that no doubt there are some people all over the world whom know not the meaning of code of conduct / ethics but I see no reason to penalize us honest divers, after all an emergency breather is a life saving device.

Does anybody know of similiar laws in other countries ? ?

Where have you seen that? Find it very weird.

It's quite common in European countries to be illegal to hunt while on SCUBA.
Care to expand on your statement about damaged fisheries and breaking treaties?
By the way,
Portugal bans trawling

A decree has been issued by the Portuguese government, which bans all deep-sea fishing in an area spanning 2,280,000 square kilometres, to promote sustainable fisheries and the conservation of deep-sea ecosystems
- See more at: World Fishing & Aquaculture - Portugal bans trawling

04 Jun 2014
carousel.jpg
The zone where bottom fishing has been banned

I had allready replied but for some reason my reply did not apear:

I was informed of this law by the Policia Maritima / maritime police,

Here is a link to the actual law ( in Portuguese ) but there is no mention of the `` spare air ´´ being illegal..
LINK:
http://www.idesporto.pt/ficheiros/file/Mergulho_nova lei/Leis/Lei_24-2013.pdf

Also I do underwater metal detecting which also is illegal in portugal.. :shakehead: :banghead: beach detecting in Portugal is illegal and requires a license, which are never issued. lol lol

They are ignorant. There is no such prohibition. Use a spare air if you want, although it's not a good option for scuba redundant gear. But you didn't mention, what would be its use for you?

Yes, using metal detectors underwater is illegal, there is no treasure hunting in Portugal, all archaeological artifacts are to be studied by the proper institutions or with their permission.

They are ignorant. There is no such prohibition. Use a spare air if you want, although it's not a good option for scuba redundant gear. But you didn't mention, what would be its use for you?

Yes, using metal detectors underwater is illegal, there is no treasure hunting in Portugal, all archaeological artifacts are to be studied by the proper institutions or with their permission.

I would just like the comfort factor of having emergency air if needed, I am relatively new to diving and am still finding it hard to 100 % trust technology, the knowledge of emergency air just makes me a lot more relaxed.

It is what it is and I am what I am it is a psychological problem, maybe one day i´ll get over it but till then an emergency air supply makes me feel great..

The problem with the Spare Air is that it's too limited (not that it's illegal). It would be of use only for shallow dives.
You don't need to trust just your equipment, you should have a redundant equipment nearby with your buddy!
If still you want extra safety, get a pony (something like 3l) attached to your main cylinder or side-slung like a stage.

The problem with the Spare Air is that it's too limited (not that it's illegal). It would be of use only for shallow dives.
You don't need to trust just your equipment, you should have a redundant equipment nearby with your buddy!
If still you want extra safety, get a pony (something like 3l) attached to your main cylinder or side-slung like a stage.

Thanks Redshift :cheers:

I know the spare air is limited, but untill I can grab the attention of my buddy it would do the job, but you are right, a pony bottle would be the option...
You guys have to excuse my limited knowledge on scuba but I am only just starting out and there is a lot of new concepts out there since the late 80´s and early 90´s when I first experienced scuba with no bcd ( old school ) hence the reason I joined this forum, to learn :read:

Corlett,

Whatever you end up buying (Spare Air / Pony), learn how to use it properly and practice with it so that if you really need to use it then it becomes second nature.

Personally I sling a pony

Corlett,

Whatever you end up buying (Spare Air / Pony), learn how to use it properly and practice with it so that if you really need to use it then it becomes second nature.

Personally I sling a pony

Quite true..
Just like anything else, repitition, repitition & repitition till you do it with your eyes closed :sleeping2:

Back
Top Bottom