Air Buddy Revisited; Semi-Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll need to know what your RMV is, to start. Let's assume it's .5 CFM. At 130, you are at 5ATA, so your consumption at that depth is 2.5CFM, assuming you are as relaxed at depth as you were when you determined your SCR to be .5. If something renders your primary gas supply unusable, there is a high likelihood that this will excite you to the point that your rate of consumption will double. Figure you'll burn 5CFM at that point. How's that 3CF looking, now?

True, but that 5cfm consumption rate changes dynamically because I am going up at a steady 40 ft/min or more at that depth, so its not like I am going to sit at the bottom and suck down my pony at 4-5cfm (and I know my consumption rate does not double in an emergency from experience, so it is more likely around 3-4cfm). So my first breath or two might be at 4cfm, but by then I am up 10 feet or so.

And who is talking about 3cfm for a pony? I bought a 6cf pony, which I thought would give me about 4 minutes to ascend ... though I am now considering upping that based on the previous posts. Read my post please before attacking. And yes, I meant boyle's law. It has been a while but I can still do the math, its just that the equations involved, when you are moving and partial pressures and relative gas volumes (and ascent rate) are changing constantly, get a little complex and involve some differential equations that I would really prefer to just find rather than create.

(and I know my consumption rate does not double in an emergency from experience, so it is more likely around 3-4cfm).

What type of emergency have you had that allows you to be certain of this?

jsnorman, assume you are at 130 feet and suddenly your dip tube clogs and you have NO gas. You fumble for the spare reg, deploy it, and begin breathing. I can guarantee you that you will not be breathing normally when you get it in your mouth! You look around for your buddy, because you are certainly going to let him know you are leaving, right? So your departure isn't instantaneous. (I can tell you from experience that rock bottom calculations are based on one minute to sort out the emergency on the bottom, and no technical students ever get off the bottom in one minute during class scenarios :) ) So you've now been at 5ATA for a minute, with an RMV of probably at least 1 . . . 5 cubic feet just disappeared. Now, assume you are icily calm and ascending at 30 fpm, and you will not make any stops. You have 4 1/2 minutes, at an average depth of 65 feet, or call it 3 ATA -- that's between 7 and 14 cubic feet of gas. This is why people choose at least an Al19 for bailout, and most people decide on something bigger, because the last thing you want is to run out of gas TWICE.

But we are rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic here. Let's go back to the original issue: providing yourself with a reasonable go-to for a massive gear failure, on your part or your buddy's. How about, instead of trying to build a better equipment setup, we build better buddy skills and better situational awareness? (Easier to take on an airplane . . . :) )

True, but that 5cfm consumption rate changes dynamically because I am going up at a steady 40 ft/min or more at that depth, so its not like I am going to sit at the bottom and suck down my pony at 4-5cfm (and I know my consumption rate does not double in an emergency from experience, so it is more likely around 3-4cfm). So my first breath or two might be at 4cfm, but by then I am up 10 feet or so.

And who is talking about 3cfm for a pony?
I believe you mentioned the 3CF SA:
After this happened the first time, I bought a Spare Air unit (the "large" one at 3 cubic feet), but as has been addressed elsewhere that would hardly do the trick for anything other than an emergency ascent if I am at depth.
I bought a 6cf pony, which I thought would give me about 4 minutes to ascend ... though I am now considering upping that based on the previous posts. Read my post please before attacking. And yes, I meant boyle's law. It has been a while but I can still do the math, its just that the equations involved, when you are moving and partial pressures and relative gas volumes (and ascent rate) are changing constantly, get a little complex and involve some differential equations that I would really prefer to just find rather than create.

You can figure consumption on ascent by using the average depth in ATA and multiplying by your consumption rate for that depth. Average depth for an ascent from 133' is about 3ATA. (3 ATA*RMV of 2=6CFM)*4 minutes= 24CF.

Sorry if you feel attacked, but I'm not sure what I posted that made you feel this way. I realize you have put a lot of thought into this, but you really need to rethink it from the start.

All the math in the world can prepare you for a single predictable incident like what Lynne describes. What kills divers, especially experienced divers, is the uncommon confluence of two or more problems, your dip tube clogs and as you leave the bottom you find that your valve is tangled, you out your knife and find that the tangle is not fishing line but hydrowire ... you get the picture? So make your best calculation, double that for excitement and then double that again for something else going wrong and round up. You think you need 6 cubes? You probably need 24 which rounds up to 30.

JS - In addition to the resources others have mentioned, take a look at this pony volume calculation spreadsheet that another SB member created. Plug in some numbers, play around with it a bit. It's not gospel, but I think you'll very quickly see why a 13cf or 19cf are probably minimum for bailout purposes.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5273466-post15.html

As for the AirBuddy, I don't have an opinion, never having tried one. Whatever solution you end up with, just practice with it until it's second nature to deploy and use.

I wonder if you have to add more margin for an Air Buddy because you are essentially breathing the IP with no second stage. Any thoughts?

While I've not checked my SAC using the AB I rather doubt the need to add more margin, unless you are not fully comfortable using it, in which case that might be prudent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom