Spare Air or Pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey -
all I can say is - maybe you need to not dive with strokes then - but that is a different discussion - AND as I think I mentioned somewhere - this is my opinion - nothing more - and my buddies are anything but idiots.

I guess I know better now than to dive with you.
Cheers,
Big T

all i'm saying is if your depending on the buddy system, then maybe you need to do some real soul searching. You are responsible for you. What happens if you're in a confined overhead environment? you need to be able to look after yourself.. Buddy diving is 2 solo divers sharing the moment.
:yellow:

i would have to vote for a Pony bottle as well. You shouldnt ever need to use it if you planned your dive and dived your plan. but in the event of a catastrophic failure of some sort a pony for you or you buddy is the best bet.

Dont rely on other people, you should be independantly self-suffecient. Your buddy is only there for the most serious of problems, you should rely only on yourself, equipment and your training. your buddy is a last resort.

TMD

I don’t have a regular dive buddy. If I could find a dive buddy I could trust (preferably a wife), I would not be concerned about OOA situation.

Lacking a permanent dive buddy, I consider all my dives solo dives. I try to assist the dive buddy assigned to me, but would not expect help for myself.

I've been looking at the "Spare Air" (tm) system with wide eyes as an last resort/piece of mind system myself. I like the idea that no extra reg is needed. That I can fill from my normal tank (instead of at a fill station) , and it is compact.

On the negative side...The price is way off the chart (even at online vs. lds prices). For the price of Spare Air I can afford a whole Pony, Bracket and second Regulator. So, for me anyway, the choice is still up in the "air" (pun intended)

However, I am leaning towards the full Emergency Pony solution. This is due to the cost comparison as well as the fact that, of the NJ dive boats I've talked to so far, over half of them REQUIRE you have a pony bottle with you if you want to book on their boats. (Little off topic: Is this normal or should I stay away from boats that have this requirement as 'unsafe' boats in comparison?)

Airingly,

SpyderTek

It would be worth doing a search on the board. There have been some good discussions on this subject in the past. IMO, if you need additional piece of mind for the dives your doing, A spare air or pony probably are not the best solution. On shallow dives, especially with a good buddy (I don't dive with bad ones) it shouldn't be an issue. For deep dives or overhead environments one should have true redundant equipment that facilitates proper gas management (doubles or H valve) and the training to use it.

Stone,

Forgive me, but I'm having trouble understanding your charts (and when I view the links the "assumptions" of which you speak are hidden UNDER the charts and not viewable).

I understand the line curve of the first chart on the first link to read as: A diver at 0-feet (surface) salt water using a 3cft Spare Air bottle can breath for 2 minutes. That same diver on that same chart has only 30 seconds of air at a depth of 45 feet or so. Ok, I can see this. BUt what I dont understand is how the line curves back up with deeper depths. How is it possible that if the diver goes even deeper to 100 feet his 3cft bottle now gives him a full minute of air when he only would have had 30 seconds at 45 feet?

So, if you would be kind enough to either explain or post the "assumptions" portion to this thread I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Confoundedly,

SpyderTek

Spydertek,

spare air allows you to drown twice. 6 cu ft of air is not going to help you if you run OOA inside a wreck, deeper than 60 ft. or way off the anchor line. Instead of a pony go with doubles. You can get two dives out of them. Which is great on a dive boat and you will have enough air for an OOA emergancy. If you can't find a buddy to dive with, well there is no good answer for that, but Spare Air will not help you if you run out of gas.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom