Spare Air or Pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by devjr
The whole idea of the XS is streamlining. BTW, why do you need a pony bottle? Wrecks, deco, instructor?

Mostly wreck diving off of New Jersey and every boat I've been on out of New Jersey requires a "true" alternative air source. I think they told us in Basic that Pony's were a requirement in NJ but with most dives in the 60 to 110 fsw range I feel much better with a Pony.

Ty

Tchil01,

As much as I don't usually like when thers use this meatheod but...We were JUST discussing this issue (esspecially the "why you need?" vs NJ Dive boats part) in another thread.

Look HERE
To get some more information.

Referringly,

SpyderTek

As of last season, pony bottles were not a requirement in New Jersey. I was on a particular boat and did not use a pony. They didn't hassle me. There are boats in NJ where pony bottles are required but it depends on the boat.

Stacey

You forgot to tell them PA/NJ that the boat captain in question didn't know what the H valve on your tank was or how it operated..He said he never saw 2 regulators on one tank.. :confused:
Ken

Ok,
I read all the threads.

My background is commercial diving, air hat, surface supply, ffm, that kind of stuff. I always had a bailout bottle hooked to a gas block manifold.

What's the difference between a pony bottle, and twins, other than one is smaller?

Now that I am old, I dive only recreationally, with a AGA mask, still configured with a gas block and pony.
2 regs, 3 first stages one clipped to my shoulder, one to share, ffm first stage as primary. with the gas block, everything is isolated as well.

1972 and still stroke'n....

Warren
(the other one)

Savitar,

Oh, no! Your name is Warren too? I think that means ScubaBoard may have to shoot one of us...

In common usage today, a "pony" is a bailout bottle. It's also usually smaller than the primary supply, which is where the term originated, but the term 'pony' now indicates that the bottle is used as a bailout, rather than as a stage bottle (to extend bottom time) or a deco bottle (to hold deco gas).

- Warren

Hi,

The spare air unit is just enough gas to get into trouble with. As has been stated before if you are relatively shallow, a free ascent is a good option, If not spare air likely won't do it. As the recent findings suggest relying on a buddy is good for swimming classes, but perhaps not for diving in anything but ideal conditions. I go for
self-sufficiency, which usually translates to redundant gear, and more training.

Best wishes,

Fd48

Yea I do almost all my dives off of NJ boats and slowly is seems all of them are making ponys or another alternate besides your octo required thats why Im getting one.

tchil01,

Do you only have a single second stage regulator attached to your first stage? ie no octopus/backup regulator? This should have been one of the basic tenets covered in open water training! You need to be able to offer your buddy a working regulator in the event of an out-of-air situation.

NJ boat captains aside, buy an octopus for your existing regulator. Find a dive boat that doesn't require you to take a pony along! And forget about the Spare Air - do a search on "spare air" here on scuba board and you will find heaps of discussion on why they're a bad idea. They are ridiculously expensive for a tiny 3 feet of air. And an octopus requires SO MUCH less task loading than a pony.

If you're looking at rigging, also consider the "donate-from-the-mouth" philosophy, where you would move your existing second stage to a longer 5 to 7 feet hose, and wear your new octopus (now called a backup regulator) on a loop of bungee around your neck. Should your buddy need air, pass him the regulator from your mouth (which you know is working! and not clogged with sand or mud from dragging on a hose), and breath off the backup regulator handily placed at the top of your chest. If YOU need air, that's what your buddy is for! Dive over, head for the surface.

Now all you need to do is find a dive boat that doesn't require ponies :rolleyes:

cheers,

Ben

I agree - I have also done much research on this as I too was going to add a PONY bottle (13 cu in) as a backup....rigged on my R side as a stage bottle is....DIR states that one does NOT need a PONY if:

1. You monitor your SPG as you SHOULD be!
2. You have a good Dive Buddy
3. A PONY adds expense ($)
4. PONY regs add expense to service annually

WATCH your air and you won't have a problem! Don't make dives on 500 psi. If you want a 'backup' - then go to twins with a manifold and isolator valve, but mostly - you and your Dive Buddy should maintain eye contact every 30 secs and stay within reach of each other!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom