Spare Air to Shoot Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can free dive to 40' although I can't do much else once I'm down there. If I take the 3 cubic ft of air down with me, will it be enough to get me that fish?

Two weeks ago, we almost lost a firefighter who thought this was a good idea in a similar situation.

Diving with a 13 cf tank isn't much different then diving with the 80. I won't have a BC or spare regulator and you just can't stay down as long. I'm not real sure what the issue is.

What happened to the firefighter?

---------- Post added August 21st, 2014 at 07:23 PM ----------

The new rig.  13 cubic ft of goodness with wireless sync to my dive watch!
04fc5c63cdafc6c8ce107709d6593d0d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What happened to the firefighter?

Searching for a potential suicide victim in 6' of water, he jumped in to check out a sonar contact, after grabbing a pony. The pony was in a carrying bag, and on entry, he lost the reg. The strap from the bag got tangled around his leg (0 vis, and at night), and he could not recover the reg and could not kick hard enough to keep his head above the water. He found out how quickly a 6' dive can become non-trivial.

I do believe that next time he will examine his options a bit closer and will opt to use more than just a pony next time.

(sonar contact actually ended up being remains of a jon boat)

This is more along the lines of what I'm trying to do with it
49f41af110d6c343b55f691bb03cf31d.jpg
(pic from member on spear board)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And the final product. That's an odyessy first stage making this refillable from my other tanks.

57e480acd28ddd655fec0cc00fd64787.jpg

I agree that free diving and then switching over to an alternate air source is idiotic. I won't be doing that.

I enjoy free diving and scuba diving. This rig helps me go down for a few minutes when I'm not necessarily on a scuba outing. It's also nice to use after I've become fatigued from diving or when I want to check a new spot and the vis is poor.

Next year I'll add the spare air to the rig so that I have a redundant air supply when going at it alone. And hopefully by then I'll have saved up a few more $$ for the freediving class.

Thanks for everyone's advice. It surely helped me get where I wanted to be much more quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom