spear guns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescue teen

Registered
Reaction score
ok so i am in sw fl and diving in low vis not usually ever better then 10-15 feet on good days so i need a spear gun foe those conditions. i want to shoot grouper and snapper mostly.... any guns suggestions

a short Euro (Omer, RobAllen, etc) in the 65-75cm class, or a nice polespear (I am a big fan of "linghunt" polespears, search on Ebay)

A Riffe metal tech #2 or #3 midhandle would be a good choice. Potentially, either gun has hefty punch and range, but the #3, when using three bands, will definitely reach out to 20 feet or so. However, due to the design, it can be used in low vis, like 10-15 feet. It is easy to swing and can be easily powered up or down. Ask yourself if spearfishing opportunities will change over the next few years. For example, will you be doing boat dives in the future. If so, a gun which looks a bit large now will be just right in the future. These are nice guns for SCUBA and fairly good for free diving.

A cheaper alternative is the Biller 42. This gun can be had inexpensively on EBay and elsewhere. Its mahogany design means that it will float reliably with almost any reel. It can also be used for "freeshafting", a common practice in some parts of Florida. Loading is made easier by the cocking stock. This means that rapid shooting and reloading will not tire you. This gun should be the right stuff for 10-15' vis. It is a very nice gun for free diving.

Riffe and Aimrite make pricey 'euroguns" with impeccable engineering. These guns have features beyond what would normally be encountered in this genre, and the prices reflect that. The features of the two brands are different but share professional grade trigger mechanisms, spring steel shafts, rigid barrels and practical, safe methods for hitching the rubber bands to the shafts.

I shoot in the same area and I happily shoot a biller 48" floridian.

pescador775:
and practical, safe methods for hitching the rubber bands to the shafts.

:lol:

yes, you don;t want to become one of those fingerless Euro gun using freaks! don;t you know none of us have any fingers left because of those evil wishbones! infact, spearfisherman must HATE having fingers, because Euro style guns far out number anyother type of speargun world wide.

love,
Amphibious (Long time hater of distal apendages)

pescador775:
A Riffe metal tech #2 or #3 midhandle would be a good choice. Potentially, either gun has hefty punch and range, but the #3, when using three bands, will definitely reach out to 20 feet or so. However, due to the design, it can be used in low vis, like 10-15 feet. It is easy to swing and can be easily powered up or down. Ask yourself if spearfishing opportunities will change over the next few years. For example, will you be doing boat dives in the future. If so, a gun which looks a bit large now will be just right in the future. These are nice guns for SCUBA and fairly good for free diving.

Hey pescador, I am going to make a 2nd purchase the first had little power. (jbl 38 special) Can you hip load the MT3 or is it a chest loader. My other choice is a
comp3xs. I think that is a hip loader. On last years trip to baja some guys with the comp3x were saying their chests were killing them from all the loading. The one at S.C. has no rest though. I'm trying to use up a $210 credit. Can you tell me anything about the extra kick I have read about on the mid handle guns? 20 foot range is great for the baja trip comming up in july. I agree that the mid handle can swing quicker and maybe more versitle for a middle of the road shooter such as myself. I don't want to be making a 3rd purchase any time soon .

I've been shooting a 48 biller for years and love it. It's pretty inexpensive compared to others and works just great.

Slammer, the Riffe Metal tech #3 is very versatile, as Pescador 775 mentioned. The stock being only 50'' gives your great tracking ability. The midhandle also alows for better band stretch-hence more power. The gun definately has a range of 20'. I have a MT3 using 2 x 24'' 5/8'' bands, and the gun easily will reach out to 17', and stretch my shockcord. I can hip load these bands, but it is not as easy as hip loading a rear handle gun. I notice no kick back with this band set up. You can add the alumunim muzzle and power up this gun for blue water with up to 4 x 5/8'' bands. The gun can be set up to freeshaft with the enclosed track kit also. The only down side to the gun is that it does not float and is negitively boyant. If you are a freediver you may be better off getting a wood gun that will float to the surface afte it has been shot.

Thanks Loneranger, bought MT3S today from dixie divers. I was told that riffe does not make the cammo versions anymore. Is this true or was the owner just trying to make the sale? It was the best price I have been able to find. My lds wanted $580 a bit too pricey. Dixie only charged $419

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom