speargun opinions wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawaii guy, a hot gun for Aloha is the Evolution. Also, check out the JBL Mini Magnum, and these guys:

http://www.bluewaterhunter.com/

The Biller wood gun is nice but, as always, needs to be tailored for your hunt. Get the 54 inch Limited with 5/16 inch freeshaft and follow the clues in my post above. Drill a 3/8 hole in the stock near the butt and purchase a large fender and floating line. You in business, bro.

Hawaii guy, to fit in with your buds and earn heaps of approving looks at Sandy Beach, get the 60 inch shaft with your Biller. To shoot at maximum speed and accuracy, buy the lighter and stiffer 54 incher.

decided against the biller to many bad things said, what do you think bout the Sporasub Instinct Pro 100 cm.i think 55 inches? And it is funny you mention sandy's i dave over there some times. where do you live? or dive? or how do you know about sandy's? And thanks for all te helpfull tips. ill be sure too look for your posts, you seem to know your stuff, unlike me, so maybe i just this you do and since i know nothing i can't disprove you, but ill assume you are just a nice, honest guy helping an poor, sorry, attempter. not a diver, im an attempter. ha.

What negative comments did you get about the biller? I don't see any here...

FWIW I've got the 48" biller Floridian and love it.

skndvr, back in the day, I was buds with some young fellows who went on to become a little bit famous. Tragedy struck the old master,Dennis Okada who got bent. Me too, a few years later. Crazy. I now live in Virginia and dream of blue, blue everywhere. I like Sandy Beach when the surf behaves. Otherwise, you gotta push off from that small lagoon.

About the Biller. The Limited is a really nice gun. All guns have some kind of issue, even very expensive mods like Riffe, etc. You will need a gun with reliable trigger, a "track" (grooved barrel) and open muzzle or semi open muzzle. Also, you will need the capability to load three 9/16 bands (Sandy Beach) or two 5/8 bands (hole shots on ulua), I can't remember the name of the place but I can drive there blindfolded, heh. Oh yeah, Waimea Bay. Back to Biller, the only problem is that the ring stop can hit the muzzle edge when the arrow passes through. That is why I suggest the freeshaft with line tied off at the butt of the shaft. The Sporasub is nice, buy plenty of spare shafts.

ReefGuy:
I've got a 48" Biller Floridian and love it. Nicely balanced and amply powered. I've only had it for 1 1/2 years, so I don't know about the lifespan yet :)
I got the same one, so far cant complain great gun for the price

you knew,Dennis Okada? wow, hear good stuff bout him. more than a lil bit, too but ya i talk to random divers and they told me im better off spending a bit more, and to not get the biller sea hornet. maybe just that model is iffy. but i went with the sporasub, i only tested it in the pool but so far i like it, waiting for the surf to calm so i can take it out. why do you say buy lotta shafts?

The skinny shafts bend pretty easy. No biggie. Good luck.

teh shaft i got is decently thick, or so i was told. you know of any other good dive spots? if you can remember them.

Back
Top Bottom