speargun recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a different JBL gun, I had the trigger mech all apart to make it work consistently. The torsional spring catches and placement was questionable. I got it to work at the end, but I shouldn't have had to messing with it in the beginning. It was a brand new gun my buddy bought. It worked fine after modifications.

now with the mako guns, whats the difference between the mini shark fins on the shaft and notched shafts?

The mini shark fins are safer IMHO. The notches will most likely be using a metal wishbone (unless you get cable) which I don't like. You have to be much more careful with metal wishbones because if you stretch the bands far apart when loading then it won't be long before the wishbone splits and hooks into your hand. IMHO, if possible, get a shaft with normal shark fin tabs. This is easier to load and also allows you to load more than one band on a fin. And if you're going with big power then you might want to get a rest tab put on the shaft. I also find these useful when you need lower low end power like for lobster (and yes where I'm located you can shoot lobbies).

With all that being said, Brad and Dano over at Mako are probably your best bet for a lower cost high performance gun. They have the best customer service and are honestly the best company I've done business with.
If you're looking for a wooden gun with massive power then Riffe's are the way to go. I use a Paduak 3XS with three 5/8" bands and it packs some serious power.

Honestly, start with something smaller until you find out what you need. I first started years ago with a JBP carbine!! And killed lots of fish with it. Now that I think back I wonder how in the world did I ever even spear anything with that gun.

this is not an easy question but here's my two cents worth. there are lots of different styles of guns pneumatic, banded etc. but for me...( and I am a dive charter captain) simple is better. I like the JBL magnum XHD for the following reasons. simple.... heavy shaft 3/8" ( meaning good knockdown power), great tip selection and the gun handle floats. I don't use the JBL rigging though . I prefer the Riffe shock cord and because we are hunting around rigs. we use stainless aircraft cable. the negative is this. must keep clean . take the trigger assy apart and service it. make sure it is lubed and clean. And because the jbl does not use shark fins, if you want a rest tab....you can just use a dremel tool with a cutting disc to make a rest tab... just copy the normal cut for the bands .....

Back
Top Bottom