Special gear advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello. First post here. Looks quite active. Im not so much into introductions- lets get to it..

So I have been a freediver in alaska for 4 years. I wore a 7/5 mm wetsuit for 3 years then upgraded to a 7mm custom tailored wetsuit with a 5mm vest and hood. The new suit is plenty warm in the summer, late fall, and early winter.

I decided to make my diving passion a business. I decided I had to go scuba to do some jobs (recovering 300lb brass props out of the mud isnt much fun as a freediver). I was given a grant to buy gear and training.

I completed the training, which, for the basics is a 15 day long course (supposedly alaska is one of the most challenging places in the world to dive so the training reflects that). We dove in brand new DUI gear.

I was unimpressed. But the grant writers want me to dive in a dry suit. As a freediver I enjoy... well.. freedom. I feel like I am part of the water, moving gracefully and swiftly through it. It is magical. Sometimes it really feels like I become a creature of the sea.

With the scuba gear on the other hand, I was lumbering, slow, clumsy. I was not part of the water, just a human artificially kept alive by technology blumbering in a strange world. I was very annoyed how easily the air would pool in my feet/legs if I tried any kind of fun movement. It was not lost on me how extremely dangerous it could be to have air get trapped in my feet and have an uncontrolled ascent. I dont understand how suits could be designed with such an obvious flaw. On top of that, I felt the suit failed where it was suppose to be superior: I was not warm. In fact, I only noticed a tiny warmth improvement over my wetsuit. I was told by the instructors that is because I was not using as much energy as when I freedive, and not spending time on the surface. Half the class was cold. One guy had to quit even. And thats with the supposedly best gear.
As an innovator obvious design flaws drive me up the wall:cussing:! phew.. anyways..

The advice I am looking for is this:
I am looking for a full suit of gear (minus fins/mask) for water temps 35-50 degrees.
I it to be streamline close fitting and flexible. So I can retain some level of grace.
And be resistant to air bubbles. With a fast purge valve if possible.
The grant writers want the whole set to be under $5000

If you have any advice on any of that I would love to hear it. I'm eager to finish this equipment list and take my business to the next level.

if air is pooling in your feet/legs too easily, your bubble might be too large (either overweighting or using too much lift from your suit instead of wing) or you might just be trimmed out wrong (may need to adjust weight placement/equipment choice). also helps when you get more experience. big difference after 50+ drysuit dives.

iirc commercial diving in alaska usually involves surface supply hot water heating to keep warm? you would then be diving wet again and keeping warm. not sure how you would fit that into your budget though.

The problems with a dry suit that you describe are common for the beginner. You just need more time in a dry suit, and all of the control problems you describe will disappear.

The comfort and decreased risk of DCI that a dry suit gives you in very cold water is well worth the time spent getting used to it.

If you were not any warmer in a dry suit than a wet suit, then you need thicker insulation, more air in the dry suit and maybe dry gloves. In 50-degree water, dry gloves are mandatory for me.

Learning to deal with the bubble of air in the dry suit is all part of the process. I totally comfortable putting a lot of air in my suit to stay warmer, and it doesn't scare me a bit anymore because I can deal with very effectively.

Also, 50 degree water is cold. Scuba diving for 30 to 60 minutes totally immersed in cold water - instead of 5 minutes free diving - is cold.

The water was 42 during class. Actually warmer than I'm used to. Im psychologically cold tolerant but not physically cold tolerant having no body fat. How I see cold exposure is: if my muscles work well enough for what I'm doing, and I am not developing hypothermia stage 2 or frost bite then it is no problem. I once went in when the ocean had ice floes, I canceled that because I suspected danger with my frontal lobe 'freezing'. I assume a diving helmet is needed for those temps. (good idea- add it to list)

When I freedive for myself I am in the water 45m-5 hours at a time. If I dont get too cold or skittish I have to force myself to get out after 5 hours. Jobs are usually 1.5 hours in the water, and 15-30 min play time to remember to remember why I'm a diver.
But anyways, we were wearing snow suits under the drysuits. I noticed the insulation compressed greatly at depth, giving it little insulation value, but was quite warm between dives when I inflated the suit. Perhaps not enough weight?

I suppose I am being too finicky. I dont HAVE to choose between wet/dry I can have both. Wet for play dry for work, and maybe after lots of practice and jobs I wont find drysuits so annoying.

I can also do modifications.

Thank you for your responses (I'm not ending the thread, if you want to post, do)

Hi. I am from Norway, and our winter is september to may.... with temperatures in the closest fjord sub being in the thirties from november to april. In other words, your story is not unusual.
There are a few things you can do. One important aspect, is skill. The bubble in the feet comes from not recognizing air migrating early enough. This is "a feel" that takes time. I know people who roll around like a free diver in a drysuit with doubles and a stage... so the freedom is an acquired skill.
In a drysuit Air=warmth. What is not put too much attention to is neck, wrists and head. These are areas of significant heat loss. If your suit has a latex seal, make sure you have a turtleneck. In 30ies water, make sure you have a 10mm hoodie with a warm-neck. Use dry-gloves. Make sure your wrist-seals are not too tight, and that air can pass from suit to glove and back. Make sure that you do not sweat on land. Use a wicking layer under your under-garments. (Under the "ski suit") DO NOT use ANYTHING with cotton or cotton blends. Merino wool mesh garments are awesome! Keep your feet warm. WOOL and ONLY wool on your feet. No fluffy white tennis socks. The fact that you are complaining about air in your feet suggests to me that you might be over weighted already.

And last but not least... if you are still cold, there are electric solutions that are _sweet_. Check out Santis solutions. They have complete electric heated undergarments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom