Spectacular experience today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
Sea lions have external ears and can rotate their hind limbs forward on land. Seals lack an external ear and have to move along like a caterpillar on land. Evolution of the groups is controversial, some link them closely with the walrus into one group the pinnipedia while at the other extreme are those who argue that the Sea Lion is a sea going canid (dog like), the seal is a sea going felid (cat like, having evolved from a giant otter-like creature) and the walrus is a sea going ursid (bear like).

I can totally agree with the last part at least in regard to their attitude. :wink: The harbor seals are like curious cats, tugging on the fin, peering into your mask. It's so funny watching them - they will swim behind a rock and peer around the side at you. "You can't see me!" :D The sea lions are the "Bark! Bark! Get outta my space!"

Here are some pics I took of a couple seals:
IMG_2806.jpg
IMG_2811.jpg
IMG_2817.jpg

And some sea lions:
IMG_2745.jpg
IMG_2746.jpg

Seals=fluffy cute :D

Seal lions=??? :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom