SPG Failure - screw came out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeTPhilly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was doing a pool session today and I noticed something moving around inside my spg. When I took a good look at it in light I saw a screw had popped out. I have attached a photo with the screw at the 4,300 psi line and where it came out of at the 4,400 psi line. Anybody have an idea what happened?

Attachments

• SPG problem.jpg
    SPG problem.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 125
Just the screw holding the fascia onto the mechanism block underneath. but very odd it’s come out!
Was the SPG exposed to vibration for an extended time?

I've had this happpen a couple times.

Switched to transmitters and haven't had an issue since.

Just the screw holding the fascia onto the mechanism block underneath. but very odd it’s come out!
Was the SPG exposed to vibration for an extended time?
No, not at all. This morning I switched from my doubles setup to a single tank setup. I got in the pool and was practicing finning and noticed my pressure was lower than expected. A little later it was showing almost empty so I new there was a problem. I then saw something moving around inside and later saw it was the screw. SPG is shot but am very curious as to what caused it to pop out.

I've had this happpen a couple times.

Switched to transmitters and haven't had an issue since.
Interesting. I hadn't heard of the problem so I was quite surprised. I am glad it didn't break during my last trip and gave out during a pool session.

How old is the gauge? Is the 91 stamp year of manufacture, you think?

Everything fails eventually.

I repaired the SPG. I took it apart, put the card back in place and screwed it down and then reassembled. It seems to be working fine. It does reflect a bit higher pressure than my new Halcyon SPG but my Scubapro has always reflected a bit higher than other SPGs. Below are some pics. Any thoughts on if I could/should actually use the repaired SPG?

Attachments

• SPG Disassembled.jpg
    SPG Disassembled.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 50
  • SPG Reassembled.jpg
    SPG Reassembled.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 38
  • SPG Pressurized.jpg
    SPG Pressurized.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 39
  • SPG Halcyon for comparison.jpg
    SPG Halcyon for comparison.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 51
I was doing a pool session today and I noticed something moving around inside my spg. When I took a good look at it in light I saw a screw had popped out. I have attached a photo with the screw at the 4,300 psi line and where it came out of at the 4,400 psi line. Anybody have an idea what happened?
That is not possible.

An SPG eliminates all points of failure, unlike those pesky pressure transducer/transmitter gadgets.

Pretty sure it was folks of Scooby-Bored that said so.

Back
Top Bottom