SPG Mounted to Inflator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of my tech diver friends attach SPG to BCD LP and corrugated hose using Velcro. You need to be careful about the length of SPG hose (you need a shorter one) if it is too long it interferes with power inflator. I personally do not do it that way, I just clipped SPG to my left hip D ring, but I think it is not a bad idea.

I have a shorter spg hose with a bolt snap and clip it to my left chest D ring. It puts the SPG right around where the inflator valve is located and is easy to find. I don't have to unclip my spg to find it. I just glance down and I know how much gas I have. This configuration is not uncommon. Actually clipping to the inflator hose is not common. I don't think what you have described is dangerous, but it is a bit unusual.

I have an auto retracting clip on my left hip D ring that I clip my integrated computer to. (Atomic Aquatic's Cobalt) I can then pull it up to look at it and let go and it will automatically go back to my hip so I can always find it without looking. The problem is, I'm finding that I prefer my spare wrist mounted computer and look at it more than my integrated computer...not because I like the computer better (I LOVE my cobalt), but because it's more convenient to look at...:shakehead:

I am biased. I prefer streamline setup. Corrogate hose is usually and should be very short so that if you are in horizontal trim, it won't dangle too far from your body. Given this length, you won't be able to see your SPG. SPG on 24" HP hose clip of left hip d ring is my preference too.

Dont buy a complete SPG setup from the big brands. Get a brass spg and HP hose with length of your choice. The overall cost is about the same but you get a much higher quality spg with the right size of hp hose.

I use slices of pushbike tube for holding hoses and things together and
thin O rings, and cable ties for attaching breakfree clips to other things

So if you get stuck or swept or tumbled, after some resistance it breaks

To make reaching a cutting device redundant, when you have little time
or no reach

And the SPG lives where I can see the face hopefully without touching it

Most people that dive with just an SPG and not a console just clip it off to their left hip D ring, so +1 on that idea.
I've also dove with the SPG and no clip and just tucked it under my waist strap on my harness.
I actually thought of trying to run the SPG along side the LP inflator and keep in in place with bicycle inner tube slices but there are too many times I dive with no BC so that wouldn't work in that case.
So that brought me back to the left hip D ring.

Compass goes on my left wrist and bottom timing device (or wrist computer) goes on the right wrist.

I got away from consoles because they are hard to secure without being clumsy and I found it a pain to always have to reach for it and unclip it to use the compass, which where I dive is probably one of the most important things we use.

One thing a console was nice for was bug diving. For lobster diving in California you want to have both arms free for those fast grabs under rocks and into holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim is all over it. No need to reinvent the wheel. Clipping off the SPG will definitely meet your objective of streamlining your rig while reducing the likelihood of entanglement.

I switched over to a DIR rig last year. Really do like it. Did do it under under guidance of an instructor. If you're looking for a streamlined rig recommend talking with a tech instructor as your questions will be quite foreign to the shop specializing in warm water open water diving.

Lacy: Don't know if you saw my old reg setup, but if you want I can probably help you streamline it... I ripped all of the housings off of mine until it was just an SPG and put my console compass and computer in separate wrist mounts... it works for me and I think I spent a grand total of 20.00 buying the wrist mounts. If you don't understand what I'm talking about ping me on FB and I'll send you a pic.

Michael

I have done as you described (SPG attached to LPI). It is really nice in that you can just glance down at the SPG. It does not dangle as it is a short DIR length hose. It is a bit awkward as the extra hose adds resistance to the LPI hose if you are using it to vent gas. Also, when I grab the LPI sometimes the hose made it slower to grip it and vent with gloves on since it is a good sized bundle of hoses, a significant drawback although most of the time I vent with the butt dump.

I still have a preference to clip it to the left chest d-ring, routing the hose under my left arm. Still can read without un-clipping and seems to be the best solution for me since the LPI is then free and clear. Since I don't sling stages there is nothing conflicting.

I tried the left waist d-ring, frankly I wasted too much time clipping and unclipping with thick gloves. I tried using an old retractor, it lasted a few dives and died how all my others did, prematurely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom