Spiegel Report 8-7-05 (no current)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMarine

Reaction score
So after deciding not to dive the Speigel last thursday, we planned another trip today to see if we could get it in. Im almost glad we didnt try it on Thurday. The water was a beautiful crystal blue with a vis of over 100ft and the best part was that there was absolutely No current.

I finally got the chance to dive my buddies 120's with Nitrox so we were able to extend out time down by about 10 minutes. We planned the dive for 30 min at MOD 100ft, to be safe. I descended first with my buddies, two much more experienced divers behind me. We came down on ball 4 which was supposed to be attached to the heli pad but rather had been moved to the one of the towers just to the stern side of the cranes. No problem! We moved forward about 20 feet up from the deck and checked out the cranes and then on to the superstructure. We entered an open walled room of the structure and passed through a swim through to the port side. We then entered another swimthrough and it brought us up 1 deck to where the wheel house was. My buddy took a ton of pics throughout. We came out just above the gun turrets and then dropped down to the deck. The entire bow was visible from the turrets! We looked over the edge and saw a southern and an eagle ray in the sand, which is at least 40 feet down. During the entire dive the opposite side of the ship was visible some 80 feet away. We stuck primarily to the port side. We checked out the plaque and dive flag, saluted the American flag, saw the other gun turrets and returned from wenst we came. We finished the dive at 32 minutes. I think we probably saw about 250 feet of the wreck. I cant say half because there is always going to be more that I havent seen. Being the hoover that I am and the excitement from being on the Spiegel upright. I sucked my 120's down to about 500psi. Next time relax and breathe a little slower.

All in all it was an amazing dive! My buddy is going to email me photos once they are developed and ill post some.

I dove the Spiegel on Sunday also. And even on Ball # 4. It was an awesome dive and my first time since it had been turned. Saw my first Arrow Crab and tons of fish. When I came back up to the surface all I could say was WOW!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom