Spiegle Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The S. Grove is a 510 fully intact Navy Landing Ship. (sunk in 2002) She is submerged in 130 plus feet of water. Making her a nice recreational wreck dive. If you are wreck certified, you may do some penetration. There are permanent lines at the stern around the hatch with the big plague. The bow deck is at about 50-60 feet. The props are around 90. (freakin huge too!) Sand at 135. The current can be tricky. I have had to pull myself along the wreck on a couple of occasions. Be sure to drop off of the leeward side then poke your head in a few holes. Take a light! Usually you will see a few rays resting on the sand. The deco stop is crowded and it is impossible to deco without the line. The boat will have to pick you up in Cuba if you let go!

Muck Diver:
Most of the dive shops that serve that site offer laminated floorplans for divers for a fee.

yep, that's true. A few shops have detailed blue prints as well. Or, you could do a google search. There should be tons of stuff out there since it was so famous for not sinking properly.

I did the speigel once last year it was a freak of nature what the other guys told me no current a total free descent and acsent I dove it with my LDS for my AOW he had done it numerous times he toke us to an airpocket one of two hidden some where it was a totall photo op. we where about 75 feet under having a conversation it was awsome.
alex t

s7595:
what makes it such a great dive ?

The cargo hold is friggin cavernous. Swam into it a bit, it just goes on forever, and packed with fish. Really eerie, and cool...

JAG

Be careful of them airpockets in the wreck. The air can be polluted / contaminated with the paint fumes, decaying crap stuck to the wall, and a carbon CO2 concentration.

Try contacting the University of Indiana..The Underwater Science Program is compiling info for diving the Navy Reef Project...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom