Split Fins and Rescue Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took the rescue course before I got my split fins. As far as the course went, I can't see how anything would've been better or different either way. RJP points out heavy people in drysuits, doubles etc., which would be different, but as he says, I can't recall diving with guys like that.

FWIW - I usually have a "victim" in doubles during Rescue training. I do it because where I live a lot of people dive in doubles, and you never know who you're going to end up assisting. Also, bringing up an unconscious diver in doubles requires a slightly different technique than singles. And if nothing else, it gives you more of an opportunity to recognize your limitations and manage resources wrt other divers, rather than trying to do everything yourself. Managing an emergency in the real world is seldom going to be the way it was laid out in class, and the more wrinkles you can put into your exercises the better. That said, plenty of my students do these exercises successfully in split fins. Wouldn't be my personal choice ... but then, it doesn't have to be ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I heard about a diver who owned paddle fins so he cut them down the middle to split them. :eek: Didn't work.

Anytime split fins is in the title, I guess we have to have the criticisms...

Thanks everyone for providing me with your words of wisdom. The quote provided by RJP sunk in...Train the way you dive & Dive the way you train. I will train in the fins that I have been using. I personally wouldn't want someone trying to rescue me with unfamiliar gear!

I thought that the guy at the dive shop was trying to unload the free-diving fins too....Piranhas...

Bring what you always use if you want to know what you could be able to do on any day. You'll find out how well your fins work for that activity when you go through the exercises. If you find them lacking then you can spend the money on new fins. If you free dive all the time, then free dive fins are the deal, but they require a lot of effort to move around otherwise and you have to supply that effort to get anywhere.

.....then free dive fins are the deal, but they require a lot of effort to move around otherwise and you have to supply that effort to get anywhere.

Whoa!!! I beg to differ.....a pair of freedive fins in the soft stiffness, moves a diver effortlessly--and with a resting heart rate....
You supply a small effort to go much farther...that is why freedivers use them....the COST to you as a diver getting the freedive fins, is that you may need to be shown how to kick them...some people get this intuitively, some need some help with the various kick shapes you use do do different things with them....

Just say "no" to split fins! (One of my mantras) :D

I heard about a diver who owned paddle fins so he cut them down the middle to split them. :eek: Didn't work.

Anytime split fins is in the title, I guess we have to have the criticisms...

I remember a bunch of years back when someone offered to send Uncle Pug a pair of split fins and bet him he couldn't do a back kick in them. When he received the fins he duct taped the split ... and back kicked them just fine ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I remember a bunch of years back when someone offered to send Uncle Pug a pair of split fins and bet him he couldn't do a back kick in them. When he received the fins he duct taped the split ... and back kicked them just fine ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I "repaired" a pair of split fins for one of the crew on the Truk Odyssey a few years ago. He seemed impressed with my work...

Todd3.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom