Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessSu

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have heard a lot of praises about using split fins. My question is how they perform in areas of high current? Do they still give you the same amount of thrust, or does the split increase the difficultly of swimming through strong current even more?

You're going to get very different answers from people on this one, depending on their point of view. Fortunately for you, this has been beaten to death on many many occasions. Do a search for split, and you'll have plenty of research material.

FWIW, if you'll look at my avitar, I'm wearing my splits, rolling into around a 6 knot current.

In general, the people who have never dived with splits, or have tried them once, will say they give you no thrust in current. This is just wrong. Thrust is thrust. 3 knots in still water is 3 knots in moving water. It won't be 3 knots relative to the bottom, but neither will anything else. Some fins will feel like they have more or less resistance under different situations, but if you learn to use them correctly they will work fine.
I don't think they are the best fin for every situation, but I don't think any other fins are either.

My experience is that in general, they give you more speed with less effort than paddle fins. They tend to be less likely to give you cramps. They work great in current. They are more difficult to use for some advanced finning styles like reverse finning.

Just my opinion.

I agree with Thom. I use BioFins, and they are great for most of the diving I do. Where they would not work as well would be using some of the more difficult kicks that some tech divers favor, or need generally in overhead environments.

Splits show good thrust numbers, no question about that. The crucial factor related to current is how long can you last? Splits such as the BioFin Pro require about 1/2 the effort of some paddles. Wearing splits, everything else equal, one will have a better chance of making it back to the ladder. Marathon runners and the like might do even better with the BioFin XT but I don't know for sure.

I must say I LOVE my split fins. I have both the Tusa zoom and the Oceanic vortex v-12 fins. I prefer my zooms because personally they have a lighter feel but both work super effectively. I was in the galapagos in June and I dove my zoom fins. I was wearing a 6mm suit so I was also wearing more weight. But despite this weight difference and the strong currents that they normally have down there my zoom fins stepped up to the plate and as usual were fantastic. The thing that I really love about the zoom fins is not only do they provide a great deal of power but also it feels very effortless and like nothing is on your foot... it seems very "natural".

My splits are ok. I have no problem keeping up with anyone that I dive with. Try to do kicks other than flutter you will want something else.

I believe the reason some believe that splits fail in current is the natural response to current: kicking harder -- which defeats the thrust, with splits.

Continue a flutter in current, and the thrust is magical...

I have Atomics, which are one of the stiffest splits... I've been able to frog kick in them, and assume you can in Apollo XT's as well (which are the stiffer Bios).

I've been diving the same set of splits SP Twin Speeds (much better than the Twin Jets) since I started diving. I've tried paddles but I have bad knees and they were a real problem.

The only kick I have not been able to get right with my splits is the reverse kick, but I'm working on it. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom