Sport diver dies doing commercial work NFLND

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pipedope:
So you are saying it is perfectly to ignore the laws and regulations that you don't like.

Now I understand.

It doesn't sound like you understand at all. Did you read the part of my post that said that I didn't get paid?

Which law did I break. Be specific please.

You're not trying to suggest that I put myself or any one else in danger by either doing it or talking about it are you?

Oh yea, I forgot..."no rec diver is trained to do any work underwater". BTW have you defined "work" in the context you're using it. I'm still waiting for your comparison to the classes I asked you to look at.

Of course, I have to admit there might be a class on leak searching in a pool someplace that I failed to take. LOL No, I don't think there is. I'll have to look through my log to see if I've logged 20 dives doing it. Then I can write a specialty outline and teach it as a distinctive specialty and all those souls risking their lives looking for leaks will have access to the proper training. ok?

So for all you risk takers out there...please...please...don't risk your life by looking for a leak in a pool without the proper training.

Just to give you a heads up: The diver died of a pulmonary embolism. It was further mentioned that the diver was working alone and that he was working in about 75ft, ran low on air and surfaced rapidly. And, in Newfoundland, commercial diving is regulated under the OHS division of the Provincial Department of Labour. Under their standards, the diver was not certified as a commercial diver; he was certified as a sea urchin harvesting diver.

TN Diver:
Just to give you a heads up: The diver died of a pulmonary embolism. It was further mentioned that the diver was working alone and that he was working in about 75ft, ran low on air and surfaced rapidly. And, in Newfoundland, commercial diving is regulated under the OHS division of the Provincial Department of Labour. Under their standards, the diver was not certified as a commercial diver; he was certified as a sea urchin harvesting diver.

Pipedope,

I told you so. LOL

Even though he was apparantly breaking the law when the accident happened, it was another solo death. Just a simple (though tragic) OOA and rapid ascent.

The work may have distracted him from watching his gas but taking pictures or just fish watching could have done the same.

BULL!!!!

Just another solo death????

WTF?????
It was a solo death, true enough but it was ALSO a diver doing COMMERCIAL WORK THAT HE WAS NOT TRAINED FOR.
It was also Commercial diving not being done to the standards required for the work.

Why was he solo?

Where was his tender and dive supervisor?
Has anyone seen the job safety analsys? Probably not as he didn't even know he needed to do one, let alone what should be in it.

Oh but it was JUST another solo diver death.

I am sorry but that is so wrong that it is not even funny on a good day.

pipedope:
I am sorry but that is so wrong that it is not even funny on a good day.

No it's not. He was solo diving that he probably wasn't trained for. He could have just as wasily been taking pictures alone and ran himself out of gas and you would have been singing a completely different tune and defending solo diving.

I don't see anything here that indicates that the activity he was participating in underwater has anything at all to do with the accident.

You may be right though in that solo divers should probably have tenders and on-site chambers.

TN Diver:
Sea urchin harvester? Didn't know there was an industry here. What are they collected for? I know the Japanese eat them but can't think of anyone else who would. Sea urchin looks like sneeze.

I've been reading the past few posts regarding the incident. The problem here is the fact that when you call out a commerical company, the minimum that they will send is 2 divers and a shore tender and it comes at a considerable cost. People are not willing to pay the money for a company to do a small job. They will usually get a local diver, pay him/her a couple hundred dollars and that's that. Since this incident, government are now going to put more rules on the industry and eventually some brilliant person (non-diver) is going to say, hey, the rec divers should be regulated also.

As for sea urchin harvesting, yes, it is ongoing in Newfoundland. Exporting the roe to the Japanese, they'll eat anything!

MikeFerrara:
I don't see anything here that indicates that the activity he was participating in underwater has anything at all to do with the accident.

You may be right though in that solo divers should probably have tenders and on-site chambers.

Maybe you need to open your eyes so that you can see.

BTW a tended diver is NOT SOLO.
If the dive had been done to proper commercial standards then he would not have been solo.

What they really need to do is prosecute the company that was doing the work for murder.

If you think hiring a commercial diving company is expensive, try having a fatality on your job site.

Condolences to the family & friends of the diver.

It's difficult for a commercial dive op to compete with a sportie that works out of the trunk of his car.
The commercial operation has to jump through the hoops paying out for all sorts of insurance that invariably winds up increasing because someone that was not equipped properly and/or didn't have the necessary level of experience got themselves hurt.
Take Florida for instance, where everybody in the whole state is a "diver". The workers comp rate there is in excess of the divers wage. The wage rate for commercial divers down there is also one of the lowest, if not still the lowest in the US.

pipedope:
Maybe you need to open your eyes so that you can see.

See what? He was underwater doing something. He could have been taking pictures, hunting, digging for old bottles or any one of a million other things. He either sucked his tank dry or had an equipment failure that caused a loss of gas. He had no backup and he paniced. Since an ESA from 75 ft is more than possible the panic seemes the straw that broke the cammels back.
BTW a tended diver is NOT SOLO.
Well as long as it's surface supplied with hard wired communications. Otherwise I disagree that a tender is a replacement for a buddy.
If the dive had been done to proper commercial standards then he would not have been solo.

If he had done the dive to proper recreational standards he wouldn't have been solo either. He would have had a teammate and he would have managed his gas supply.
What they really need to do is prosecute the company that was doing the work for murder.

The problem with that is that there is no reason to expect that a person or company who needs to hire out UW work knows anything at all about diving or commercial diving standards. If we are going to expect that then you would have to be trained as a commercial contractor to know enough to hire one. No. Knowing and following the standards is up to the company who is doing the work.

You may have a point about prosecution though. It was just bad diving. Lets prosecute PADI or some one for not teaching gas management and team diving.
If you think hiring a commercial diving company is expensive, try having a fatality on your job site.

Yes, if you call it recreational you can kill as many people as you want and it usually doesn't cost anything.

Solo diving is ok as long as you have your hands in your pocket and don't appear to be doing work. If you take your hands out and do something (which might be construed as doing work) then you need, surface supplied gas, a tender and an onsite chamber.

I think I get it now. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom