Sports Chalet Lobster Contest Ill Conceived

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello

I am an instructor for Sports Chalet and I think that this is an important issue. However I believe that everyone is going about it incorrectly. There was a man named Norbert Olberz he was the owner of SportChalet he has not been in the captains seat for some time. If you really want to stop the Contest and change peoples understanding of this practice. YOu must cut out as much red tape as you can.

The way to do that is to contact the right people and the right organizations. To begin with Sport Chalet is very specifically structured. THe CEO is Criag Levera, The Scuba Director is newly changed to Tim Anderson the Sr. Operations VP. And finally scuba operations manager is Chris Robinson. Now creating an on line Scubaboard.com petition letting any diver add their name and then email and Snail mail it to the people who choose to have the contest or not would be the most effective.

Second the SCUBA certifications are supported at Sport Chalet by PADI. So you have the worlds largest cahin of Dive Shops supported by PADI the worlds largest certification agency. So look to PADI to apply some influence on SportChalet. Send Letters to the Director for PADI's Project Aware programs Jenny Garmendia, Director, Project AWARE Foundation. jenny.miller.garmendia@projectaware.org she will take your concerns to the powers to be as it is her position to do so. PADI stands on the support of Project Aware and information on how to use this program to support your cause is available on the PADI web site and Jenny will send information on Government contacts that would help with the next level of the journey.

To hit a taget one must aim at the right spot. There are hungreds of Sport Chalet Instructors, AI's, DM's who ride the Board put out a call for information about the company We will answer you.

Thank you. Your information and direction is well taken. Maybe next year it will be a non-issue.

If I may play devils advocate....I notice the contest specified 'live lobster'. As long as this is listed as the specification, I see nothing wrong with their having a contest............I realize this is a sensitive issue, but like a lot of issues, it is also a multi-faceted one.
I don't know how they handle the lobsters presented, but I doubt very seriously that they are released back into the ocean. I believe (possibly incorrectly) that they are done with their aquatic life. If that is not the case, I am sure many of us would like to know how they are handled.

Well, the ones that I have entered were weighed, measured, and handed back to me. (Handled with care, I might add.) So, the responsibility is back on the diver. Now, I've never entered one larger than 6 lbs., but if I were to catch a big enough one to potentally win, I'd take it back to the beach and release it, after measuring.

I believe that one of the past winners is in the Birch Aquarium.

If I may play devils advocate....

Devil's advocate, eh TJ? You little devil you.

I wonder about catch and release of these large bugs. If they are released back in the same area where they were caught, this might be OK. If not, and they are let go miles from where they were taken, these big bugs may not establish well in the new setting due to environmental or competitive reasons.

However, I'm just speculating. I claim no expertise when it comes to lobster... unless they are smothered in butter (actually I prefer them without).

Back
Top Bottom