Sports Chalet Lobster Contest Ill Conceived

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How some or even most in the dive community feel. NOT ALL! wow 5 pages of post on this topic alone.

Bill

seansrs36:
This contest was even posted in this month's edition of California Dive News.

It's always advertised on CDN. That's their main form of advertising for the contest.

I'm curious if anyone that wrote or otherwise contacted SC got a reply? I did not. Does it look like anything has changed regarding the contest?

I like the idea of a lobster contest - I think a great way to promote the store, conservation, etc... is for the store to setup at a convienent location near the beach weigh in lobsters and give out prize entries to every lobster returned to the ocean. They can still have their big lobster prize and promote the lobster population...win win right??

Exactly! No one is saying don't hunt lobster. Just leave the biggins to breed.

FYI, I'm currently away on a dive vacation in Bali, Indonesia, so I don't know if Sport Chalet has responded to my letter. I'll be back on Sept. 28, so I'll let you know then.

Leave the big lobsters in the sea, for divers to see and to make more little lobsters! Also, making a contest means there will be people out there digging and damaging reefs looking for hidden lobsters. Bad idea! Boo !

Leave the big lobsters in the sea, for divers to see and to make more little lobsters! Also, making a contest means there will be people out there digging and damaging reefs looking for hidden lobsters. Bad idea! Boo !

While I agree with the sentiment, damaging reefs isn't a huge concern here since all we have is solid rock. No coral, except a certain rareish species that lives only in very deep water (no one is going to be hunting lobsters where that stuff grows).

Hello

I am an instructor for Sports Chalet and I think that this is an important issue. However I believe that everyone is going about it incorrectly. There was a man named Norbert Olberz he was the owner of SportChalet he has not been in the captains seat for some time. If you really want to stop the Contest and change peoples understanding of this practice. YOu must cut out as much red tape as you can.

The way to do that is to contact the right people and the right organizations. To begin with Sport Chalet is very specifically structured. THe CEO is Criag Levera, The Scuba Director is newly changed to Tim Anderson the Sr. Operations VP. And finally scuba operations manager is Chris Robinson. Now creating an on line Scubaboard.com petition letting any diver add their name and then email and Snail mail it to the people who choose to have the contest or not would be the most effective.

Second the SCUBA certifications are supported at Sport Chalet by PADI. So you have the worlds largest cahin of Dive Shops supported by PADI the worlds largest certification agency. So look to PADI to apply some influence on SportChalet. Send Letters to the Director for PADI's Project Aware programs Jenny Garmendia, Director, Project AWARE Foundation. jenny.miller.garmendia@projectaware.org she will take your concerns to the powers to be as it is her position to do so. PADI stands on the support of Project Aware and information on how to use this program to support your cause is available on the PADI web site and Jenny will send information on Government contacts that would help with the next level of the journey.

To hit a taget one must aim at the right spot. There are hungreds of Sport Chalet Instructors, AI's, DM's who ride the Board put out a call for information about the company We will answer you.

If I may play devils advocate....

I notice the contest specified 'live lobster'. As long as this is listed as the specification, I see nothing wrong with their having a contest. I have entered the contest every year, (nope, never won a thing!). As long as the participating divers are responsible, I don't have a problem with it.

As some of you know, bug hunting is one of my favorite diving activities. And yes, I love catching big trophy lobsters. However, they are strictly a photo op for me. With one exception, I have never damaged a big one, or eaten one bigger than 6 lbs. If I cannot catch a bug cleanly, i.e., not missing legs or antenna, I don't try for a grab.

I realize this is a sensitive issue, but like a lot of issues, it is also a multi-faceted one.

Back
Top Bottom