Sports Chalet Lobster Contest Ill Conceived

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't place yourself perfectly and wait. While you're doing that, they're already starting to line themselves up for an escape.

see, rush, grab.

Aim 2/3s his body length behind him if out in the open. You'll close this distance with more experience.

EMPTY V

Thank you for your comments.

As I previously indicated the snippet to Dale was a note and not intended for publication

I have been accused of many things but never having an ego-Knowledge, experience, enthusiasm and a passion for diving -Yes. Tolerance for ignorant late model tube sucking bubble blowers who know nothing, who have done nothing, who have contributed nothing and will be nothing - No.

In a few days I will be very close to my 8th decade of life and approaching 7th decade in the sport. From a goggler, snorkeler, swim diver, lung diver to Scuba, I have been fortunate to have experienced and documented the birth of a sport. From a sport with no equipment, no name, no organizations, no magazine, no books, no training, no clubs, no Internet, and no experts it has grown and developed to the point where an individual with very minimal training and experience can become a self proclaimed expert with out additional knowledge or study.

I fear I do not know H2Andy. I do recall a similar name a year ago. This individual had an avatar that was very disturbing to the VN veterans and Americans everywhere. Could this be the same person?

As previously mentioned I have been fortunate to have experienced and documented the sport from its genesis. In the past I have had dedicated columns in four national magazines, been on the cover and was the first guest editor of Skin Diver Magazine-However that cover and article appeared long before you and most on this thread were born.

Most recently the article "The Mask" which appeared in my column "The way it was" in Discover Diving, was resurrected from my files, altered in order to avoid copyright conflicts and published in the Legends of diving at www.portagequarry.com. It is as follows..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Mask,
Dr. Samuel Miller

One of the great pioneer divers of all times was the late Charlie Sturgil. "The Old Walrus," as he was affectionately known, started his diving career in 1929 in the frigid waters off Northern California where he hunted for abalone by a method he described as "feeling for abalone." He would dive on a reef, feel until he found an abalone and pry it off, without the use of mask, fins, snorkel or thermal protection.
Charlie began diving with a Japanese mask in the late 1930s which was loaned to him by his good friend Bill O'Conner. A few years later after the end of WW 11, Charlie, a master tool and die maker and an inventor of sorts, developed the necessary tooling to produce masks on a semi-custom basis for himself and a few close friends. I consider myself very fortunate to have been included in the latter category.

In early years during the genesis of recreational diving the masks were either too large, too small, too stiff or after a few dives, would rapidly deteriorate into a gummy, sticky mess. This did not make for comfortable diving! After using a number of the masks of that era,the Japanese imports, and the American made Sea Net, I decided it was time to contact Charlie to ask him if he could make one of his custom masks for me.

After checking my meager finances, found I could possibly afford one of Charlie's masks, so I gave him a call. "Sure, Sammy, I'd be happy to make a mask for you, come on over", Charlie replied to my request. Within moments I was off to the temple of Southern California diving, Charlie Sturgil's garage.

I was met by this jovial hunk of a man with his infectious, ever-present smile. "Hey ya, Sammy" was always his cordial greeting. Alter a few moments of catching up on the diving scene it, was time to get to work. "Sammy, I'm now making two masks; the original for $6.00 and a new oval model for $8.00", Charlie explained. After considerable soul searching and penny counting, I opted for what I felt I could afford, the original round mask for $6.00.

Now, Charlie's garage was something to behold. It appeared to be in total disarray, and the best way to describe it would be the day after a big sale in a bargain basement. Diving equipment in various stages of repairs, pieces of metal, lengths of stainless rods scattered about... Omnipresent was the huge metal turret lathe and miscellaneous metal working machines. But to Charlie, it was his arena, it was where he excelled in turning these seemingly scrap pieces of metal into custom spear points, spear shafts, yes, even masks.

Charlie knew the location, size, shape and type of everything in his garage. His storage system was logical and certainly workable, but it still defies the imagination how he managed to find anything, let alone make anything, but he did.

Charlie went to work with the speed and skill of a emergency room surgeon. He immediately uncovered a length of 5 inch O.D. soft rubber World War 11, surplus firehose, from which he cut a 4 inch piece. He placed the piece of rubber hose in the wooden mold and proceeded to his trusty bench grinder where he slowly cut a 1/8 inch wide, 3/32 deep groove all around the edge for the glass. This was followed by the rough contouring for the forehead, cheeks, and upper lip. He then went to his metal rack and withdrew a piece of 3/4 x 16 inch 22 gauge stainless steel, which he placed in his specially constructed mold and carefully, yet skillfully, forced the stainless steel around the mold forming it into a familiar round mask shape. His next step was to form the band evenly and smoothly around the mold creating the lip for the compression hand with light rapid laps of a hammer. Using silver solder, the welding process of the era, he soldered the tabs for the strap and the compression screw tabs to complete the band. A piece of pre-cut 1/3 inch glass, the same kind used for window glass, was taken from the shelf and fit into the groove; the compression band placed around the mask and the compression screw tightened.

At last, the mask was assembled. My own custom Sturgil mask! Charlie proceeded to take some cursory measurements of my then youthful face, and returned to the grinding wheel, skillfully grinding a little here, a little there, another trial fit, a little more grinding. Finally, a perfect fit. A final hand finish with fine sandpaper, attaching of the strap, cut from a truck inner tube, and I was the proud possessor of a real genuine Charlie Sturgil Original Style Diving Mask.

This occurred many years ago when diving as well as life was much simpler, a time when pride in workmanship and ownership were at a premium. Charlie made almost 40 of these one of a kind custom dive masks, however only three are known to have survived the rigors of our disposable society, mine, Alex Pierce's of Toronto, Canada and Charlie's widow's Laura's mask which now on loan and rests in a Southern California museum. And indeed they are museum pieces... the three remaining masks are all in excess of fifty years old and represent an era which was experienced by only a precious few which will never be experienced again upon this earth.

Charlie has reverend position in the fraternity of diving pioneers; he won the world's second Spearfishing contest in 1950 with a pole spear, was a LA County Underwater Instructor and serendipity developed much of the spearfishing and SCUBA equipment which has become mainstream in todays diving.

I will never forget Charlie, nor will anyone who ever knew him.... nor will there ever be another mask like a Sturgil Mask.

Dr Samuel Miller

This event occured about 55 years ago...

sdm

rakkis:
Don't place yourself perfectly and wait. While you're doing that, they're already starting to line themselves up for an escape.

see, rush, grab.

Aim 2/3s his body length behind him if out in the open. You'll close this distance with more experience.

Thanks

But, the real question is .... considering the she (wife) is not going to cook him for me ...... what the heck should I do once I grab him? Let him go and wave good-bye?

Best Regards,

I_AM
:dork2:

Many of the comments made by some of the venerated veterans of diving are insightful, some are not. I find it fascinating that some innovators of an activity hold on to the glory days to the exclusion of everything else. The mindset of some of the pioneers of (insert activity) were stronger, worked harder, sacrificed more, smarter and as such you new guys could not possibly be as tough, smart or by any means have what it takes to gain my respect, intrigues me.

I started diving in the sixties, for fun and sad to say, profit. I regret many of the things I did then (as it relates to taking of game) and today would never condone those practices. There is little doubt that regulations to protect our fisheries and our environment are at cross purposes. They both have a right to exist but is that right equal? I don’t think so.

The path to balanced regulatory limits can only be made if clear thinking people influence their leadership in a way that works within the system. Call and letters to both businesses that endorse and participate in harmful activities and to the legislators that control or are in a position to control these activities.

To tie these two disjointed points together, I am one of the older, know it all groups mentioned above. However, I do respect the newer generation of divers that despite the fact of not having to make their own gear out of garage scraps, are great divers. Most are very well trained and have the skills and equipment that still amazes me to this day. It is this new generation that recognizes the harm we old farts did and it is they that we must all rely upon to fix and protect it for our grandkids.

Dave

Teamcasa:
To tie these two disjointed points together, I am one of the older, know it all groups mentioned above. However, I do respect the newer generation of divers that despite the fact of not having to make their own gear out of garage scraps, are great divers. Most are very well trained and have the skills and equipment that still amazes me to this day. It is this new generation that recognizes the harm we old farts did and it is they that we must all rely upon to fix and protect it for our grandkids

Dave, thank you for the above. I very much appreciate the sentiment behind it. We "young-uns" can't help the fact that we either weren't around, or weren't diving, back in "the day". But I appreciate the fact that you are willing to respect us for what we are doing TODAY.

And in an effort to wrench this thread back to its intended purpose...

Here is the letter I sent last week to Sport Chalet:

Sport Chalet
Attn: Norbert Olberz
1 Sport Chalet Dr.
La Cañada, CA 91011

Dear Mr. Olberz,

I am a frequent customer of the Sport Chalet store in Thousand Oaks. My husband and I took our PADI Open Water and Advanced Open Water certification training through this store last year, and have purchased much of our gear there. We continue to visit the Scuba dept. regularly, for air fills and ongoing purchases. I will also soon be signing up for my Rescue Diver certification course.

As a regular customer, I was dismayed to learn of the “Biggest Lobster” contest that Sport Chalet apparently sponsors every year during lobster hunting season. I feel very strongly that this contest is ill-conceived, and should be eliminated.

I beg your indulgence to read the reasons below.

The fact is that fisheries around the world are in jeopardy, due to many environmental and man-made factors. In an effort to protect the California Spiny Lobster population, the California Department of Fish and Game regulates the size and numbers of lobsters that can legally be taken by recreational hunters. At the present time, these regulations limit only the minimum size, not the maximum size of lobsters that can be hunted. While commercial lobster fishers use traps designed to prevent large lobsters from entering, recreational hunters are not restricted from removing the big ones.

However, taking the largest lobsters removes those with the greatest reproductive potential from the population. A five- to six-pound female lobster produces an average of 100,000 eggs per set – up to 20 times that of a one-pound lobster – and the larger they get, the more eggs they produce. A 15-lb lobster can generate literally millions of eggs. Many responsible sport lobster hunters and marine biologists have been trying to campaign to get recreational divers to leave the big ones behind and take the smaller (and tastier) ones.

Sport Chalet’s “biggest lobster” contest encourages divers to seek out and catch the very lobsters that can do the most to assure that we have future generations of lobsters to hunt.

I urge you, as an organization, to consider the negative environmental impact of your lobster contest. The local diving community is a close-knit one, and I can assure you that eliminating this contest will be very well-received. Not doing so, however, will more than likely lead to divers such as myself taking our business to more environmentally responsible retailers.

I appreciate your consideration.

Sincerely,

LeeAnne Clark

Nice way to redeem yourself Sam. Just to let you know, the only way I've heard of you, and I'm sure this goes for the majority of people who know your name that are still alive, is because of all of your self acknowledging posts on scubaboard. So in my book, which matters just as little as yours, you fall into the category of "ignorant late model tube sucking bubble blowers who know nothing, who have done nothing, who have contributed nothing and will be nothing." I'm done with you and your bitter old man attitude.

On a positive note and back to what this thread was all about before it got derailed, excellent letter LeeAnne! When I get back from Montana(out here for work right now) I'm going to send one out. Another good recipient would probable be this guy:

L. Ryan Broddrick - Director of the DFG
Director's Office:
(916) 653-7667
(916) 653-7387 fax
Director@dfg.ca.gov
Executive Assistant:
Lisa Toof
(916) 651-9702

CA Department of Fish & Game
1416 Ninth Street
Sacramento, CA 95814

Billy

FYI, I'm also writing a letter to the Ventura County Star. I'm a regular contributor there, and they pretty much will print anything I send them. (My contributions usually stir up a lot of controversy, which sells papers...they like that! :wink:). I'll let y'all know if/when they print it.

While I respect the position of those who don't want to see big lobster's taken, no one cited any evidence that the taking of large lobsters by recreational divers is a threat to the population. What is the estimated recreational take of all lobster compared to the commercial? As with other game, the threat is really in the taking of lobsters before they have reproduced for a few years. For the record, I catch my lobster at Santa Monica Seafood.

I will accept at face value the statement that older females produced more eggs than younger females, but it is the escape ports on traps allowing juveniles to escape, not the inability of large lobsters to get in that is credited with the post 1975 recovery of the lobster population.

The following is a series of excerpts on the subject of that I cut from the Blue Ocean Institute website.

"Male Spiny Lobsters typically reach sexual maturity between 3 and 6 years, while females reach maturity between 5 and 6 years. In California waters, male Spiny Lobsters reach a maximum age of 30 years, while females typically survive to 20 years (CDFG 2001a). The abundance of California Spiny Lobster fluctuates with broad-scale environmental changes caused by El Nino and La Nina events. Commercial catches of California Spiny Lobster peaked in the mid-1900s and declined to an all-time low in 1975, following years of unregulated fishing (USFWS 1988; CDFG 2001). The population has since recovered, likely due to regulations mandating the use of escape ports on Spiny Lobster traps that allow juveniles to escape (CDFG 2001b; Barsky, pers. comm., 2006). Today, the abundance of California Spiny Lobster fluctuates annually in concert with cyclic changes in environmental conditions (CDFG 2001b), and managers believe the population is healthy (Barsky, pers. comm., 2006).The U.S. National Marine Fisheries Service does not list California Spiny Lobster as overfished. Since 1976, commercial catches of California Spiny Lobster have increased."

scjoe, from your same source:

"Abundance of California Spiny Lobster is unknown (CDFG 2001a). Fishery managers monitor the population using commercial catch data, instead of fisheries-independent, scientific surveys."

The point is we don't know what effect the dive community has on the population. Maybe for once we can be overly concerned instead of having to rebuild a destroyed resource at the brink of extinction.

Scjoe, that is an important issue in this discussion, and thank you for bringing it up.

I do like to have at least some knowledge about an issue before I dive into "activist" mode. Hence, I did do my research before I posted to this thread. I read information from many different sources, including DFG, Monterey Bay Acquarium Seafood Watch Program, Blue Ocean Institute, and various other groups and publications, to help me understand the current status of the local lobster population.

What I learned was that despite its importance to regional fisheries of both Southern California and Mexico, little basic research has been conducted on the life history, population structure, and habitat needs of the California Spiny Lobster. However, its importance to the local ecosystem has been noted:

P. interruptus plays an important role as a predator in intertidal and subtidal communities [Hovel, 2003]. Lobster predation on mussels and urchins is an important factor in maintaining diverse communities in these habitats [Tegner and Levin, 1983; Robles, Sweetnam & Eminike, 1990]. In California’s Anacapa Island marine reserve, where lobster fishing is prohibited, not only are spiny lobsters larger and more abundant than outside the reserve, but the kelp forest ecosystem is more stable, thanks to lobster predation upon kelp-eating sea urchins [PISCO, 2002].

So it's clear that a healthy lobster population is crucial for our local marine ecosystem.

Further, we know that there was, at one point, a problem of overfishing of lobsters in the region (as detailed in your post, so I won't quote my sources). Luckily, this was arrested due to DFG enacting regulations.

However, note that it is only speculation that it is, in fact, the escape ports for juvies that resulted in the population recovery (although obviously that must have had a very large impact). Since large lobsters can't get caught in the traps either, it is certainly possible that their protection has also had a positive impact - and, IMO, I think it's pretty safe to make that assumption.

So the reality is that, while I have no hard-and-fast data that protecting large reproducing females has any impact at all on the lobster population, I'm basing my assumptions on the following facts:

1. It is important for our local marine ecosystem to have a healthy lobster population.
2. The local lobster population was, at one time (not all that many years ago), in danger due to overfishing.
3. Large females produce exponentially more eggs than smaller lobsters.

I am using my own common sense to extrapolate that protecting the lobsters that produce the most juvenile lobsters can only serve to help protect the species from, once again, suffering due to overfishing. Saving one 10-pounder can do more for the population NOW than saving 10 shorties.

As for whether or not recreational fishing has any impact at all on the local lobster population, the very fact that DFG regulations apply to recreational fishers, and that they will fine the bejesus out of you if you violate them, says to me that at least someone at DFG thinks it does. And if we're supposed to protect shorties for the purpose of assuring ongoing reproduction, it stands to reason that protecting biggies will serve to achieve the same results.

The bottom line for me is, frankly, I love hunting lobster! It's one of my favorite dive activities. I'd like to be able to do it for many years to come. And if I have to let a trophy or two slip away in order to help assure that, then I'm happy to do it.

I hope this adequately explains why I feel this is an issue worthy of my attention and action. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom