Sports Chalet Lobster Contest Ill Conceived

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do believe that lobbying the DFGC and your local legislative representative would make the most impact in the long term. Writing Sports Chalet (and others that do/hold similar contests) and getting the word out to local dive clubs and publications as well as the media may have a more immediate result. The efficacy of email campaigns have had mixed results where letter writing still gets attention, they may not work but it does get attention.

Dave

I think action is already underway in the State of California regarding the imposition of slot limits on lobster... a minimum and a maximum take size.

drbill:
As the OP, let's keep this focused on the original subject. If Dive 'N' Surf and other shops are continuing to hold big lobster contests, I'd welcome the extension of this effort in their direction as well. Personally, I'd be surprised and disappointed if Bobby Meistrell has continued this since he has taken a positive direction on other issues such as spearing of black sea bass nd was a strong supporter of the Catalina Conservancy Divers.

Every year, every opener, bill

[I'm still gonna look up aderation]

Merxlin, Empty V, Leejnd,

It has been several days since last visiting this thread...

Many years ago a wise SoCal diver leader, Mr Bill Barada aka "Bill the Barracuda," and I were conversing on our way back from the island. He gave me a simple concise explanation of his leadership style based on the Count Prince Machiavellia. I have never forgotten his wise words and leadership style.

One of his principles was when there is real or imagined chaos there will be some in the masses who will rise up to defend the flag. Thank you for rising up.

Empty V et al you will note that I mentioned that I requested that Dale NOT print the information, but since he did It is now public domain, therefore I referenced it. For many years I have written and conversed with Dale about many subjects, only a very few I gave him permission to print, this was one I did not give him permission. However he thought it was very germane information for the SoCal. diver and violated my trust. Now I agree!

With aggressive passionate divers like Merxlin, with 199 dives and Leejnd with 100 dives in one year of experience I am some how satisfied and assured that the lobster population will remain stable for the future populations to enjoy.

Empty V sad that you don't read...There is a wealth of diving knowledge of which you have been deprived. May I suggest that you begin your quest for diving knowledge with "The Compleat Goggler," Guy Gilpatric, Dodd Mead & Co, 1938 and proceed to the present. (FYI "Compleat" is correct -based on Sir Nissan Newton's spelling.)

Thank all of you for your comments,

SDM

drbill:
I think action is already underway in the State of California regarding the imposition of slot limits on lobster... a minimum and a maximum take size.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You think action is ...underway"

How about verifiyng this statement with Cal F&G?

sdm

drbill:
...If Dive 'N' Surf and other shops are continuing to hold big lobster contests, I'd welcome the extension of this effort in their direction as well.

***Better get your welcome wagon out and ready to roll--every year for at least the past 20 years. First night of lobster season Div N Surf is like a circus all night long.

Personally, I'd be surprised and disappointed if Bobby Meistrell has continued this since he has taken a positive direction on other issues such as spearing of black sea bass nd was a strong supporter of the Catalina Conservancy Divers.

***Only thing worse that a reformed drunk is a reformed diver...

sdm

sam miller:
Empty V sad that you don't read...

Sam I think you've been narc'd too many times. I guess in your world, if a diver doesn't know about a note of yours in CDN then they are considered an individual who doesn't read. I feel sorry for people such as yourself who maintain an ego like that. I can now understand where h2andy was coming from.

Billy

sam miller:
Empty V sad that you don't read...There is a wealth of diving knowledge of which you have been deprived. May I suggest that you begin your quest for diving knowledge with "The Compleat Goggler," Guy Gilpatric, Dodd Mead & Co, 1938 and proceed to the present. (FYI "Compleat" is correct -based on Sir Nissan Newton's spelling.)

Wow. I've seen some strange stuff go on in SB, but this is definitely up there.

Sam, I've read some of your posts in the past, and you appear to be a guy who's been diving for years and has some interesting anecdotes to pass along. I have enjoyed some of them. But for the life of me I cannot understand why you seem to feel compelled to antagonize some of the folks who posted to this thread. This comment to Billy is downright rude, and entirely uncalled for. As Billy points out above, the fact that he missed ONE letter of yours in ONE diving publication isn't by any stretch of the imagination an indication that he "doesn't read". And I can't help but think that your suggestion that it does is rather megalomaniacal. By the way, I have a short story published. I'm assuming you've read it. What? You haven't? It's SUCH a shame you don't read... (seriously!)

Meanwhile, I'd like to suggest that you take your little barbs to PM's, if you feel they are so necessary. And allow this thread to be about the orignial topic...which is, what can we, as divers concerned with the environment and the local fisheries, do to stop the local "biggest lobster" contests?

I sent my letter last week...I've gotta go dig it out of my files, and I'll post it here, so that anyone else who might feel compelled to write one can get some ideas. Plagiarize as necessary! :)

The title is just to catch your attention ... but the spelling of the author of "Il Principe" is correct. Garantito!

Since the thread is getting a little tense ... I would like to share with you my "experience" as lobster hunter:

I have been - desperately - trying to catch my first lobster since several years.... I get close, position myself perfectly, wait for the right moment .... and then .... I just wave at he/her while I see he/her leaving.

I managed to convince my wife to buy an huge pan to boil the lobster .... then I explained to her that she has to put the lobster - alive - inside the boiling water. She said I am crazy and she will never do that.

Of course I like to eat lobsters ... and when I feel like, we just go to the restaurant and order one - or two. But we don't do that too often.

So, I will keep trying to catch my first (and I am pretty sure my last) lobster and, in case I succeed, I will even attempt to convince (bribe) my wife to cook the bounty for me.

Anybody wants a - brand new - lobster's pan?

I_AM
:dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom