Spring in Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstroupe

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering a trip to Asia for some diving next year and I wondered if the March/April timeframe was good in that part of the world (or does it even matter)?

Cheers

I know that at that time of year the gulf side is good. My experience on the west coast is limited but from my understanding you can get good diving on that side too.

Generally, the diving is better on the west coast than the east. It's not too say that there's anything wrong with the east coast but for me the similans (west coast) is the best diving Ive ever done aywhere in the world so far!

East coast can be v cheap but bear in mind that on islands such as koh tao, the dive sites close to the islands can be v busy.

If you need details of any recommendations please feel free to ask me.

thanks

greg

I did a liveaboard in the Similians in April '02 and it was great. We saw mantas, turtles, whale sharks, and tons of little things. That was my first liveaboard, and I plan on going back in April '06 to see if its as good as I remember; now that I have more experience under my belt.

Also, April is (at least to me) a great time to visit Thailand. In Phuket, April 13-15 is the Songkran holiday. Basically, its a three day water fight with loads of partying.

I think March and April is the best time to dive in the Similan Islands or Burma. the weather is generally hot (very hot), no wind, calm seas and it is the best time of year to have a chance of whalesharks, plus you're outside the peak season, so hotels and flights are cheaper.

March and April are excellent for diving. And besides the Similans, also Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are perfect, IMO maybe even better.
Because of the plankton in the water, chances of seeing manta rays are excellent, and occassionaly even a whale shark. Also because of the plankton, the vis is a bit less than e.g. during November, but 20-25 meters still is not too bad.

gstroupe:
I am considering a trip to Asia for some diving next year and I wondered if the March/April timeframe was good in that part of the world (or does it even matter)?

Cheers

You'll typically hear that Nov. to Jan is the high season in Thailand because the weather is a little more mild. I did my OW cert. in Phuket this last May and it was fantastic!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom